What am i doing wrong?

hbhobby

So i am reloading som 6.5 sweedish mauser rounds. After about 60 rounds the de priming pin on my sizing die breaks. I have always wanted a universal deprimer so now i have an excuse to get one. Get a lee universal depriming tool set it up and third pull it snaps the depriming pin. Thinking there is a defect i return it to store and get another. Get new one home and first pull snaps the pin! What am i doing wrong? I have been reloading for about 25 years and have NEVER had something like this happen. I have inspected inside the brass and nothing is inside them. Please help

Jim243

Berdan primed case, no flash hole as you know it. Two little holes at the bottom of the case.

Jim

chris in va

Yup, check the hole(s). I've snapped a pin before with the odd Berdan case that slipped past security.

BTW you need to loosen up the rod collet nut at the top. That way the next one you try to deprime will just push up the decapper rod instead of jam it in there and break.

cdoc42

Just yesterday I replaced a decapping pin on a RCBS X-die. After 10 cases were sized the new pin broke again. A an exam showed the expander ball had slowly unscrewed. I inserted a new pin and secure the ball with thread lock. Resized 85 cases with new problems.

Wreck-n-Crew

I have seen the same style in 9mm. Two flash holes off center from primer. Really ticked me off at the time...lol. They should outlaw the stupid things if you ask me!:cool:

surveyor

On anything in a military rifle caliber the first die in my turret is a universal decapper...
I got tired of breaking pins and bending stems in the dies..

If or more likely when I break decap pins now, I put another one in..
2-3 bucks for spares is a lot better than a 15 buck decap/ size rod.

I take the decap pins out of the size dies and decap as a separate step .

hbhobby

No military brass all was same brass and first 60 went smoothly. I just dont know what happened. I only had about 10 or so brass left so those went to recycly bin

F. Guffey

What am i doing wrong?

I do not know, I would suggest aligning the primer punch/neck sizing ball assemble before starting to size. I would not suggest a reloader leave the assemble loose.

F. Guffey

44 AMP

Staff
Even in high grade commercial brass, one sometimes finds a flashhole that is off center. If it is off center enough, it will break the pin. A loose decapping stem can do the same thing (pin not aligned with the hole).

I don't use a universal decapper die, I use the manual punch and base set from Lee (and about the only Lee product I do use). 40 years, I have broken one, and Lee replaced it free. Using the punch lets you feel the pin enter the flash hole, and gives you a good idea if its out of spec. Also very useful for returning squashed case mouths back to round.