What age to start teaching about firearms ?

Recently I made a statement in another thread about teaching children in primary schools responsible firearms etiquette. This has got me thinking about my experience as a child, and later as a father. I would like some ideas about what might be acceptable to various age groups. Also what experiences have others had? Either teaching your kids/grand kids etc, or having been taught.

alloy

i was taught pretty early. it probably started as soon as i showed an interest with a bb gun in the second grade, 8 maybe? first .22 and hunting trips around 10 and a 20 guage the next year. always supervised, but guns hung in the gun rack in my house. so they were always there. fishing had started earlier...hunting and fishing were indistiguishable. cub scouts, all that stuff. regular beaver cleaver.

B. Lahey

My grandfather gave me a Daisy lever-cock air rifle when I was extremely young. I had to brace the stock with my legs and use both hands to cock it, so I must have been tiny. He got me a few powerful air guns suitable for small game hunting not long after that. Carefully supervised at first, but I was allowed to wander the woods with pellet guns on my own after I had shown everyone I was trustworthy. I think I was still in single digits when I got my first .22 and I was probably ten or eleven when I received a single-shot .410 for bird hunting, something like that.

It worked out well.:)

b.thomas

according to my mother: my dad had my brother and I shooting his Stevens .22 single-shot over the hood of the family car at age 2 or 3. By the time I was 5 I had a Daisy Red Ryder bb gun and shot the old man's .22 all by me lonesome at about 7. (well kind of, the old man and my older cousin always kept an eye on us).
I started both my boys at about age 5 with a .22 rifle (with me holding most of the gun) and some at home practice with a air rifle in the garage, by 7-8 they were shooting a .22 by themselves with CLOSE supervision.:cool:

Answer is to start them as early as you can.............even if it's a rubber band gun! Never to early to learn gun safety.:D

Firearm safety should be taught at a very young age (don't touch, ask for permission and muzzle control). My friend did that with his daughters and removed the mystique about guns. Anytime they wanted to see their guns, he'd unlock the safe and take it out for them. When they're old enough to shoot, teach them more safety rules and handling procedures and then take them to the range.

kraigwy

What age depends on the kid not so much the age. 4H shooting sports required kids to be 7.

Its not the age per se, I've seen adults that were too young.

Also it depends on the instructor, and how he relates with kids.

allenomics

Age 7 for BB, 8 for .22 rifle, 10, .22 pistol, coupled with a mature child and lots of training and support and only if they are interested in firearms.

44 AMP

Staff
What is the proper age to begin teaching?

When they are big enough to pick up a gun. That is when the teaching should start. When they are big enough to pick one up, they need to be taught some things. Not much at first, just a few simple things. Even though they are not big enough to use the gun yet, they can learn, and should be taught.

Unfortunately, kids start learning about guns the moment you set them down in front of the TV set. And what they learn is all wrong! They do not see responsible gun use on TV, and very little other responsible behavior either.

It is up to the parents to make up for that lack. Not teaching children the true facts about firearms is to me, child abuse.

It used to be that familys trained the children about guns, the same as they did with everything else in life. Today there are few families that still do this. Many, many children get the only firearms training they ever get from the TV, video games, and peers in the same situation.

Each stage of a child's developement has a level of firearms training that is appropriate to it. Not all children are at the same stage of maturity at a give age, so the level needs to be tailored to the individual child. But there is a proper amount of training for each.

AK103K

It should start the day they are born and continue constantly from there.

Both our kids had a Chipmunk the day they were born, and were shooting them at age 4. They each had "fired" thousands of rounds on the living room floor before they ever fired a live round, and their first live rounds were in the black on a pistol target, fired offhand at 10 yards.

If you get something like a Chipmunk or Cricket, which are sized for kids and fit them properly, it makes teaching a whole lot simpler.

Constant daily handling and simple, basic instruction will have them pro's before you know it, and safe pro's to boot.

If you wait until they are 6 or 7 to even start, your way behind the curve, and they will already be well on the way to being "stupid", regardless of how smart you think they are. Your life will be so much simpler, and your kids safer, if you start right away.

shortwave

At the crawling age. If your cleaning gun or have it out for any reason and jr. crawls over to touch it,learning gun safety starts right then. As far as taking child shooting goes. When child will keep hearing protection on. Thats were I`m at with grandson now and he`s two(papa loving every minute:D). I hope to have him shooting by about four, we`ll see.

Dangerwing

I think this is too broad of a question to answer. There are way to many factors to consider. The "maturity" of the child is one, but also his/her obedience. If he has been told "no cookies", do you catch him with his hand in the cookie jar?

You also must notice what influences the child seems to respond to. Does he idolize John Wayne and Chuck Norris, people that use firearms as tools for good and responsible purposes? Or does he idolize Eminem and Dr. Dre, people who proudly sing of their crimes and misuse of firearms? Where do you live? Are you in a rural society where hunting is a part of the culture? (I grew up in a small town in South Dakota. Grocery stores and hotels literally had to schedule extra staff to deal with "the hunter rush" every year around phesant season) Or are you in an urban society where guns are for range, self defense, or crime only?

Im sure there are dozens more factors that need to be considered, but I think its clear that age is far from the only one.

alfsauve

What age? Teach?

My 15month old granddaughter and I watch American Rifleman together. At some point she'll ASK ME to take her shooting.

Teaching doesn't necessarily involve actual shooting.

AK103K

Im sure there are dozens more factors that need to be considered, but I think its clear that age is far from the only one.
You can make it as complicated as you want, or as easy as you want, its entirely up to you, your the programmer. If your kid turns out to be a retard, its usually not your kids fault. As a general rule, "Ya plant potatoes, ya get potatoes". ;)

Its really no different than training a dog. If you get the dog as a pup, and teach it what you want it to do from day one, you usually get a dog that listens to you and obeys, if you (you being the key thing again here) teach it properly. If you take one from the pound thats a couple of years old, and had who knows what for training, your job will be a lot more difficult.

KennyW

Its never to early....she has been around them since birth. Nothing special to her just another one of the guns. Already teaching her to respect them, don't point it anywhere but the ground. Groundwork.....she isn't afraid of the boom now. Of course close supervision! She is my my youngest...oldest is 30. Oh yeah..she is 2 1/2
She already has a Cooper 204 with a custom serial number.... ROBBIE2006. Exhibition French
001.jpg

004.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 8

sophijo

Norman Maclean

This is not precisely about firearms, but it could be. It's a quote from the beginning of A River Runs Through It.
"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fisherman on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." :D

Double J

At what age to start teaching?

From the cradle. I was hunting by age three. Even before that age I knew what the guns were for. Some kids won't take to it. Some kids will. Start them early.

I have been teaching my 4 year old from day one. He is still too young to handle them much, but I suspect by the time he is 8-10 years old he will have a lot more trigger time.

I think it is a case by case basis as to how soon you get them shooting and how much...

My boy likes to go with me, but he hasn't pulled the trigger but a couple times, and only with me right there helping him.