What about these powders for .45 acp?

AL45

I'm almost out of Unique, Universal, and Trail Boss. I have almost 2 lbs of Blue Dot and 1 lb of Power Pistol. I've seen some data for these in .45 acp but do any of you have any experience with them? I don't want any hot loads but I guess a moderate load wouldn't be bad. They will fired from a 1911.

mmb713

You won't get a moderate load in 45 Auto with either of those powders, they will produce top velocity, and top recoil. I've used Blue Dot in 45 Auto before and don't care for it, it is really too slow for that application. I can't say on Power Pistol, I've only used it 9mm and it gives high velocities there, and sharper recoil. It will work in 45 Auto but there are better suited powders. Between BD and PP I would try the latter first, and keep my eyes peeled for a faster powder to come along. Shooting Blue Dot in 45 Auto beats not shooting though. Good luck on getting through this drought.

aiming fluid

I've used them both but the blue dot was disappointing. Lot of failures of all types (fail to feed, fail to eject). To be fair I tried this powder very early on in my reloading career and probably didn't give it a fair shake, but regardless it really is too slow for this application.

Now power pistol is another matter. It has produced some dandy loads with 230 grain ball. In my 1911 7.0 grains of power pistol pushed a 230 grain hornady fmj right at 850 fps.
My hornady manual goes down to 5.6 grains of power pistol for 700 fps. I haven't gone below 6.7 grains, but at that level and up it burns pretty clean. Big flash too; meters superb.

Nick_C_S

I don't want any hot loads but I guess a moderate load wouldn't be bad.

I gotta go with mmb713 on this one. Power Pistol and Blue Dot in 45ACP are for making bullets go fast. They're high-performance powders.

In these times of powder shortages we load what we have. And in so doing, we are compelled to create recipes that aren't optimal. Try to avoid the temptation to do so. Disappointment awaits for those who try to load in ways outside a powder's burn characteristics.

If you have Power Pistol - make Power Pistol rounds.
If you have Blue Dot - make Blue Dot rounds.
They are what they are.

Power Pistol might give you a little more wiggle room than Blue Dot; but then, most anything would. In 45ACP, the only thing BD is good for is pushing the heaviest bullets really hard.

Nick_C_S

Now power pistol is another matter.

It is.

I load a dandy 185g Speer GDHP over 9.0g Power Pistol. It's quite the throaty round at 1083 fps through a full-size 1911 (Colt - vintage 1984). This load is in compliance with Speer #14 - by a good margin. Although it's still in my workbook as a "work in progress," I have pretty much decided to leave the recipe as is and consider it set. It's a pleasing round to shoot.

WESHOOT2

Power Pistol can readily make 'medium' 45 ACP, and a start of 7.0g under a 230g might suprise folks with its (potential) accuracy.

Blue Dot is not for me in 45 ACP.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Power Pistol works just fine for "medium" loads. It's one of the best "hot rod" powders you can get and will give you very close to best velocity with most handgun rounds, but it also works just fine for medium power.

Trail Boss, is for Looooowwww power loads. In all likelihood, the slide wouldn't even cycle. I'm going to try it in my .357sig this weekend. Should be fun.;)

rg1

No Blue Dot in 45 ACP or your going to have troubles and erratic velocities. Blue Dot I would only recommend for magnum shotgun loading. Not a fan of it in metallic cartridge reloading. I have used it in .357 Magnum with so-so results.

Sarge

Some years back we used Blue Dot and 255 grain SWC's in the 45 ACP, to essentially duplicate standard-pressure 45 Colt loads with the same bullet. The ACP loads were Plus P of course, clipped from an 80's gun rag of some repute.

filthy phil

5.7 unique under a 230gr plated rn xtreme works great for me.
I started at 6.2 and that was a bit zesty for my taste (gen4 glock 21)

std7mag

HI... I'm 7mag... And I'm a Blue Dot user.....

:D

I use Blue Dot in my Hi-Point 40S&W, and now my recently aquired Springfield Champion 45ACP.

With the 40 I'm using Nosler 150 JHP with 9.5 gr of Bluedot.
Recoil is very manageable, and accuracy has been very good(especially for me).

With the Champion I'm using Hornady 185gr JHP. Problem is that there is no listing that I can find for that bullet weight and Bluedot. Have been experimenting with the load listings for the 200gr bullet starting with the low end and going up by .2 gr increments of powder.
So far looking like either 9.8gr, and 10.0 gr. seem to be best for it.

I've also used Hogdon Longshot. Recoil seems much "snappier" with both calibers. Although my neighbor seems to love this with his pistol, so I load his with this.

And yesterday I just picked up a can of Ramshot True Blue from the LGS. Was on sale for $15. Some idiot opened it, broke the seal. I got it for $10... :cool:
And am now working up loads for this powder. :D

MikeRussell

To get the most out of Power Pistol, you need to either shoot indoors or at low light outdoors...that way you can watch the flamethrower action! ;)

AKhog

I haven't tried Blue Dot for 45ACP, but for 460 Rowland it works pretty good with both 200gr XTP and 230 HSM plated round nose.

Nick_C_S

Power Pistol is a real flamethrower.

It is.

I'm thinking that Alliant's BE-86 is Power Pistol with a flash suppressant. I've never seen it on any LGS shelves - no surprise there, all things considered. Nor have I seen any load data on it either.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I must be the only Power Pistol user in the world that doesn't see the flames... do you guys all shoot at indoor ranges with the lights turned down, or what?

I've shot all kinds of guns in all kinds of light conditions, from 22 handguns to 12ga shotguns, everything from blazing noon-day sun to pitch black of night. They all make a flash at night and I've never noticed any in the noon sun. My 18" barrel 870 with 3" magnums on a moonless night, yeah, flash is an understatement. My .357sig loaded with Power Pistol under any ordinary conditions, not so much. I don't see any significant difference from any other powder... but I'm apparently alone.

Nick_C_S

I shoot at an outdoor covered range. I rarely see the flames when I'm sight-aligned and shooting. I have to shoot kind of from the hip (making sure the RSO's aren't watching), so I can look downward upon the muzzle. But I only do this step with potential defense loadings. Otherwise, I don't care.