What about Para-Ordance 1911 pistols?

bluedog

I would like to hear about what you Folks think about Para-Ordance pistols! Quality, reliability, durability, fit & finish, customer service. SA models? LDA models? High Cap models? What has been your experience? I am presently suffering from the 1911 bug and have purchased a couple of S&W 1911 models which I really like but I am now thinking about getting a Para, maybe a high cap model. Thanks!!!

mstuhr

Hi Bluedog

Hi Bluedog,
I just picked up a high cap Super Hawg. I like it. I'd say it is on par with most other quality makers.
I bought it to shoot in competition and it, like most any, needed a good trigger tune. I have several hundred rounds through it and it is reliable and accurate.
Any other experience I have with them is with gunsmith frames. I really like their stuff but they are lacking in customer service and it is not unusual to talk to three different factory folks and get three drasticly different awnsers to what ever question you might have.
I always thought they made a neat product but were a goofy company. This is not to say they would leave you hanging with a bad one. I don't think they would. It might be needlessly frustrating to deal with them untill you got satisfaction or found someone who would help you.
Shoot em' off a question in an E-mail and see how long it takes for them to respond.
Anyway, I don't mean to beat them up. I like their stuff but feel they could do better with the public.
Mike

striker55

I have a PX745E SSP single stack, really like it. Fit is tight, trigger is excellant. Shoots really nice even out at 50 yards. I can put 20 rounds through the 10 ring at 7 yards.

hornet41

I've got three Para's; P14 double stack, C7 single stack, both .45's.
Also a Carry 9. All LDA's. Love them all. Good quality guns. Never had a problem with any of them. I did change the recoil spring on the P14 after 3500 rounds though. A lot of gun shops don't carry Para's so they don't get a lot of exposure. Fit and finish on mine are excellent!!
Every one who has shot mine can't get over the LDA trigger system. Smooth, light and no stacking. Can't tell when it's gonna break. Contributes to accuracy I believe!!!:D

DanD

I had a Para-Ordnance Ops (3.5" SA .45 ) that was great. Accurate, awesome trigger, 100% reliable. I would definitely recommend them. I had to sell it because I got married & moved, but eventually I will get another Para.

ranburr

Your better off just guying the frame. A cast frame and a forged slide you can get away with . A cast frame and a cast slide is a very bad idea.

M1911

I have 7 different 1911s, including one early P14-45. IMHO, it is a POS.

I have had quite a few failures to feed in my P14, typically near the end of a magazine. Yes, the magazines are original PO magazines, that I got straight from PO. Yes, I've tried replacing the mag followers and springs.

In addition, after putting several thousand rounds through the gun, the hammer started following the slide down. As a result, my gunsmith had to replace the hammer, sear, and disconnector.

Now the slide stop notch is getting misshapen, so the slide will have to be repaired or replaced.

Eventually I will have it built into an IPSC gun. I'll keep the magazines and frame. Everything else will go in the trash.

In short, my P14 has proved to be unreliable, poorly finished, and not durable.

I'd buy another Kimber. I won't buy another PO. YMMV.

Last edited:

john in jax

I've owned quiet a few Para Ord 1911 style pistols and they all worked fine for me. I'm currently down to just a full size 7.45s LDA and a officer's sized 7.45s LDA, but I'm constantly trying to buy back an all stainless P14.45 I sold a buddy that really needed it as a CCW.

I never had a problem with any of mine but FWIW I've read on the internet comments to the effect that the single stacks are more reliable than the double stacks and that a few of the older alloy framed guns had some cracking issues.

Officer's Match

Your better off just guying the frame. A cast frame and a forged slide you can get away with . A cast frame and a cast slide is a very bad idea.

Come to think of it I have seen more broken Para slides than probably any other 1911...

I love my ParaOrd 1911. I have the Slim Hawg and it has served me very well. In fact it is pretty much the only gun I break my "must be DA rule" for as a carry gun.

It is also a lot of fun at the range.

I have only had one issue with it and that was a crack/gouge in the original grips when the gun was new. I called Para and I had a new set of grips the two days later at no charge and with no questions asked.

SlimHawg.jpg

DaveInPA

I love my Para. Just a basic single stack 5" in .45 ACP. It's never given me a malfunction and it's my daily carry gun right now. I'm planning on having some custom work done to it in the near future both for cosmetics and performance, and replacing it with either another Para or a Springfield TRP as my new carry gun.

Catalina

I love my Slim Hawg. Beautiful gun and a pleasure to shoot & carry.

I know 3" 1911's are not supposed to work but nobody told this gun.

Para does seem to have rather questionable QC. Lots of MIM in these pups so if you are anti metal injection molding look elsewhere. Kinda of a crap shoot as to if the MIM was made on a "good day" or a "bad day".

Their MIM Power Extractors will break early on (1,000 rounds) if faulty and they are $87 to replace - over $90 in SS.

And yes, their slides can crack! Great picture of one here http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=47901