What about a Ruger P90

DBAR

What about a Ruger P90? I've got a couple of guns laying around that I don't shoot much, and I was thinking about trading them off for a good .45 acp handgun. I've got a good 1911, and I've got a good Glock 36. I've heard that the Ruger P90 is reliable, dependable, and accurate.

I'd like to hear the good, and the bad about the Ruger P90. I know there are other .45's out there, but my dogs name is Ruger, and I think I should have another gun by Ruger.

Thanks in advance,

DBAR

rantingredneck

Mine is the most accurate centerfire handgun I own bar none.

It's a little bulky for every day carry, but I still carry mine from time to time. It's lighter than an all steel 1911, but a somewhat beefier and thicker in the grip and slide.

ejfalvo

I had a Ruger P90 for about 5 years. Puts significant numbers of rounds thru it - never failed, no problems at all. Very accurate. Traded it for an 45XD Compact strickly for the size, and while the XD is a great gun, I do miss the Ruger.

Last edited:

DBAR

You may want to take a look at the P345 also. Much less bulky and performs about the same.

I thought about that too. I saw a recent thread here when I did a search. It seems like it's about 50/50. Some choose the P345, and some go with the P90.

I probably wouldn't mine a P345 either. I'm just looking for a good, inexpensive, proven .45 acp handgun. It just seems that Ruger (by reputation only) fills all of those requirements.

railroader

You could also get a ruger p97. They are discontinued so you have to look for them. The one I have shoots really well and eats every thing. It's polymer decocker only unlike the p345 which has a mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and a safety which I can personally do without on decocker da/sa pistol. They use the same mags as the p90 and p345. Here's a pic off the web. Mark
p97_s.jpg

Kyo

345 is a fine weapon. I carry mine all the time. 2.5 pounds fully loaded. Shoots accurate and has very light recoil for a 45. I say the same stuff all the time cause I can't say anything else about it. Its not a glock, or a sig, or a 1911. But its rugged, doesn't rust under my sweat here in GA, and it works EVERY time, even with my reloads.
I might get a p90 one day as a range gun. Idk if I would carry it though, some people do carry it and like it. Its all preference. I prefer my light one.

ESI Agent

The P90 is a great firearm. It's a full size duty firearm that just keeps going. The P90 is overbuilt/engineered. It was designed for the 10mm but chambered for the 45. I'll put mine against anything on the market. It's a real workhorse. :cool:

Brian48

One of the best handguns I've ever owned. Sold mine years ago to fund another purchase and I've regretted it ever since. My particular specimen was accurate, reliable, and had a great DA/SA trigger. Built like a tank. If I were to ever run out of ammo, I could use it as club.

Wish I still had it today. :(

FYI, this is coming from a 1911 man, so that should say something...... :cool:

madmag

I am going to second most of the above statements.

My P90 is:
-The most accurate semi I own. It has this strange habit of hitting exactly where I aim.
-Typical Ruger "built like a tank".
-Very reliable.
-My "go to" gun. Yes I also own a 1911.
-Probably one of the most reasonably priced and underrated guns on the market.

Yes it is a little bulky, but that feel goes away when you are shooting. Maybe a little ugly, well at least if you looking at the business end.:D

The P90 is one of those rare guns that you will have a hard time finding negative comments about.

rantingredneck

Some choose the P345, and some go with the P90.

And some of us choose both.

You could also get a ruger p97.

EXACTLY!

The three together make a nice .45 ACP battery.....

The P345 is my nightstand and sometimes carry (when I feel like a semi), The P97 is my truck gun, and the P90 is my every now and then carry and range/house gun.

DSC00010.jpg

Of the 3 the P90 is still the most accurate, but it's splitting hairs to say that.

DBAR

You could also get a ruger p97. They are discontinued so you have to look for them.

Yep, saw one at a local Gun Shop the other day. They sold it this last weekend at the Gun Show. That's kind of why I was thinking about the P90.

Thanks,
DBAR

AZAK

If you are thinking about carrying the Ruger, definitely the P345. Everything that the P90 is except big and bulky. And the P345 is a surprisingly soft shooter for a .45, cam block seems to do it's job well.

That said, the P90 is a tank. Don't think that it is possible to wear it out or break it unless you were to actually run it over by a real tank! Just not very carry friendly, when you consider that the P345 is.

If you have not at least held both, you might want to do so; in my mind grip is night and day.

I can comment of these two having had both. Never had the P97. The only one still with me is the P345 and I am happy to have this model. I also own a few other Rugers, never have had any issues with any of the ones that I have owned, or still do own, over the years.

Still love my Colt 1911s, but I have had to send a NIB Commander back to the factory for two months, never have had to send back any of my Rugers. Carry my Colts comfortably, and the P345 comfortably, but the P90 was not comfortably.

P97

I have the P90, P97, and P345. All three are good guns, but for me the P97 works best. I have large hands and the P97 seems to have been build just especially for my grip. I can shoot it more accurate than the other two because of the grip. It is my CCW. You won't go wrong with any of the three.

madmag

Nothing wrong with the 345, I hope to get one soon. The P90 is bulky. I have just medium size hands so it took several false starts before I purchased my P90. But the P90 comes into it's own on the range. It does not (to me) feel bulky when you are shooting, and the accuracy is great.

Having said that, any Ruger P Series is a good choice.:)

PS: Adding Hogue grips helps the P90 grip a lot.

2ndamd

I had to sell my P90 to my dad.
We went shooting about 9 years ago.
He had just bought his first handgun (he was a shotgunner / bird hunter). He had his brand new Ed Brown that was about $2500. He shot more accurately with the $400 Ruger (so did I). He sold his Ed Brown and bought my P90 a good belt and holster and a ton of ammo. He still shoots that P90 very well to this day :)

Good gun!

Hard to believe a $400 gun can compete with competition guns....but, the Ruger P90 does just that. No bull.

comn-cents

I'd go p90. One of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. Someone took the words out of my mouth "if I ever run out of ammo I can use it like a club"
I just found one that I'm saving for. I have a p89 and it is my go too gun, It has never failed me.

Wleoff

I bought this one when they first came out and have put thousands of rounds thru it with never a glitch. I like 1911s and have several, but they're more temperamental than this P90.
P40III.jpg