What about a Browning BAR for a "scoutish" type gun?

Futo Inu

I saw an ad for this gun, and it's advertised as short & handy. Indeed it looks pretty short & handy - I think it has an 18-18 1/2" bbl. My questions for those with experience with this rifle are...

1. Weight & length: Is it any longer than a bolt gun? How much heavier than a comparable bolt gun? Just a few ounces, or a full pound or so more?

2. Accuracy: What kind of accuracy can one get from these? I imagine that you can get pretty good groups if you get and tune the BOSS mechanism, no? I would guess it could outshoot my abilities.

3. I'd guess the muzzle blast would be tremendous with the short bbl and BOSS?

Obviously, follow-up semi-auto shots are rarely or never needed in a hunting scenario, but the main thing that attracts me to the semi-auto is the reduced recoil. Also, this is semi-auto gun you can hunt with that the game warden won't think you're out of your mind, which also can double as a defensive firearm, unlike a military semi-auto .308. If you're using a non-standard funky reload and it doesn't cycle properly when hunting, so what? You still get your shot off and can clear the jam in leisure. If'n OTOH you're planning for defense, load 'er up with 168s or whatever she digests well. So is this the semi-auto freak's version of the scout rifle? Also, I think Rem and maybe someone else offers semi-auto, "PC"-looking rifles. How do they compare with the Browning?

garyo

This is what I have been thinking about lately also. I spent some time talking to users and gun shops in my area about the Remington 7400/7600 and not a single person liked or recommended them. On the other hand everybody just loved and highly recommended the Browning BAR. I'm not sure I would want the BOSS option as I think I would prefer the .308 w/aluminum receiver a good Leupold scope w/quick detachable base. And a good sling. Yaa that would be my scout rifle.
Any other opinions on this?

------------------
Take Care

Trevor

Correct me if I am wrong, but no semi-automatic rifle in .30 caliber can make the required weight--less than 7 pounds, including scope. Of course, you can build your rifle as you please, but Cooper has clearly indicated the rationale for each feature of his concept of the scout rifle.
Semi-automatics immediately take it of this realm.

Frankly, if you want the self-loader, the AR-15 offers you everything you could ask of a scout rifle, except, of course, the performance of a .30 caliber. The AR-10 puts you back up in heavy rifle-o-rama.

As for what a lone rifleman can reasonably expect to accomplish with his weapon, one or two shots is probably it. There is no need for a semi-automatic. Go for the bolt-action and hit the mark.

------------------
We have never been modern.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The Browning has a good rep for accuracy, but it seemed heavy to me as I handled a couple. I have a 742K with which I am happy as to overall performance, but it's no lightweight, either.

Trevor summed it up pretty well, as far as "Scout" or "Scoutish" goes...

Regards, Art