What a Jam!

Glenn E. Meyer

This could be in competition also but ...

So, I'm shooting my 2nd Gen Glock 19 in an IDPA match. Bang, bang, nada. What?

Look down and an empty piece of brass has rotated 180 degrees and has the slide jamming the open mouth of the empty case into the back face of the slide where the firing pin is - crumpled. It is stuck really good. Tap, rack, - nope. Need two hands to play with it. Drop the mag, etc. Whack at the case.

So, the RO stops me and we diddle with it and I get a re-shoot. Local match.

Never saw that one before. If this was a fight - I now have a perfect club.

Gun ran again when clear. Might have been a bad round? The Gods?

Don Glock

Seen that kind of jam before. Could be a number of things, weak loaded round, malformed extractor channel/rim on the shell, extractor/ejector issue....

since it happened only once, most likely it was the round and not the the gun. were you shooting reloads?

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

Too bad there were three targets. :(

I guess I should have had my body armor on and carried a BUG. But you can't use a BUG in an IDPA match.

I did have my knife. I guess I could have charged the target and sliced them up.
That would have caused much hilarity from my friends. :D

Timbow

That's ironic. We had the exact same thing happen to one of our officer's Glocks (3rd Gen) at our night shoot last Thurs. His actually chambered the spent casing backwards making it initially appear like a case head separation until we knocked the chambered piece of brass back out and realized what happened. I've either fired or witnessed well over 100,000 rounds fired through Glock pistols and that's the first time I've ever seen that happen. It actually got some of out guys thinking more seriously about buying or carrying backup guns because that thing would have been DONE with any fight it was in.

chadstrickland

I am not a "glock nut" or anything but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one to save my life or carry one around for defense. They are some very reliable and simple pistols.

Point being..anything man made can and will fail eventually. Every moving piece in a firearm will wear out and eventually fail. Every piece must work perfectly with the next in order to work. The firearm and the ammunition. It is to much to ask that it work 100% of the time. I will settle for 99% :)

drail

I have seen 1911s do this in matches. Your extractor and ejector claw needs to be tweaked slightly so that the brass is ejected at a slightly different angle. Any angle will do. A slightly longer ejector could help start the ejection cycle a tiny bit earlier to give the case time to get clear of the port. Very small changes are all that are needed.

voyager4520

At 3:31 into this video the exact same FTE occurs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHEdNx0Mk4

Glock has a new ejector for the Gen4 9mm's, as of now it doesn't appear that they're using it in the other Generations but it's still too early to know that. The new ejector has a rearward tilt to help raise the case mouth earlier during ejection, and the ejector is taller top to bottom so no matter how far down the breech face the casing slides the ejector will still act on the casing in the same manner.

Here are some pictures of it: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17921092&postcount=15

Even if they only use it for Gen4, some time soon the newest Gen4 trigger housings should have the new ejector and it's a simple matter to pull the ejector out of the trigger housing and put it into a Gen3 or earlier trigger housing.

Last edited: