What a beauty!

Baba Louie

Then... 1500-1600 fps driving 158 gr bullet.
(Shamelessly "borrowed" from gunblast, sixguns, leverguns and other websites)
The original .357 loading in 1935 consisted of a 158 grain swaged bullet over 16.0 grains of #2400 ignited by a rifle primer. This load is too hot today for most guns as #2400 has changed through the years and is better suited for 158 grain bullets with 14.0. to 15.0 grains.
When all was said and done, the ammo finally developed for the market and the S&W 357 magnum handgun, had come full circle and was at the levels Keith said they had to be at, the high 40,000 psi levels. Interesting is the fact that it was Remington that took over the development of the ammo. The original cartridge cases used large pistol primers, not the small pistol primers they are manufactured for today. Today most of the 357 magnum commercial ammo has been lowered in pressure into the high 30,000 psi levels.

Remember this (1935-37) was 2 or 3 decades from the time BP rounds were the norm (If you look in the older Sears reproduction catalogs, you would still find people who preferred the older BP rounds... like in a .38 spl? 44-40 or .45Colt, etc)

Today... 1200-1300 fps for 158 gr typically (you can push it a bit farther up the speed scale) and the 125's move a tad bit faster (again, typically)

Regarding the Registered Magnum... I guess you can safely say they don't build 'em like that anymore? I'm sure Tamara has a nickel one stashed someplace for future Sunday perusal.

Erik

One of the finest examples of the glory days of the firearms industry.

This, folks who aren't sure what a "grail gun" is supposed to be, is a grail gun.

CraigC

Sixguns don't get much better than that! However, George Wimer, the seller, is a legend in his own mind. He's well known on the S&W forum to be quite the belligerent and arrogant collector. His guns are always WAY overpriced. This one appears to be no different and I see he makes no mention of the King's front sight. Something that would definitely detract from its collector value. It's worth a lot of money, but not 13 grand.

Hammer It

The Evansville, Indiana Police Department S&W's

Hello
That is one Sweet Registered magnum. I Picked up a S&W revolver awhile ago that is an X- Chief of Police gun at a gun show here Locally. It was also an Evansville, Indiana Police Chief that was before this Police Chief they spoke of that Owned that Registered magnum. The Chief's Name was Harry Anderson and when I asked the Evansville Police department what they could tell me about him, I Received an Interesting E-mail from Sergeant Rick Hubbard of the Evansville, Police Department shown below. The revolver is a Pre-War Regulation Police I frame, that shipped in 1925. It is chambered in .32 S&W Long and is Six shot. It came with the Mother of Pearl Handles shown on it and I since have located the Rare Extended Target grips shown as well. prior to this, I had Very Little Intetrest in any Cop's guns but since this one was Owned and carried strong side in a Flap Holster while Chief Harry Anderson Rode Motorcycle Brigade in Evansville, Indiana it was kind of Neat. Un like the Registered Magnum revolver, I only gave $200.00 for it, but got a Lot of Bang for my Buck researching it. If Guns Could Talk the tales they would Tell. Regards, Hammer It

Here is the historical information on Harry Anderson with the Evansville Police Department. He served as Chief from 1926 to 1928.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Sgt.Richard Hubbard

In March 1926, Nolte was hospitalized with a nervous breakdown and voluntarily took a demotion to detective, stepping down as chief in favor of Harry Anderson on March 29, 1926. Nolte continued as a member of the department until his retirement in 1931. Nolte died in 1933. Nolte's 3-month term as chief was the shortest in the history of the police department.

Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson, the 23rd chief of police, was born in Warrick County. He became active in the Republican Party. He joined the department on November 24, 1916. Prior to joining the department, Anderson worked as a bartender. He was promoted to motorcycleman on January 7, 1918. Anderson was a member of the Evansville Police Relief Association committee that published the book "A Souvenir History of the Evansville Police Department" in 1918.

In 1919, Anderson resigned and became a car salesman. In January 1921, County Clerk Frank Grange appointed Anderson a deputy in the county clerk's office. When the Republicans took control of city hall in January 1926 Mayor Herbert Males appointed William Nolte as his choice to replace Democrat-appointed Ira Wiltshire in the chief's position. After 3 months in the chief's office, Nolte suffered a nervous breakdown and took a voluntary demotion to detective. Anderson returned to the police department after an absence of 7 years as Mayor Males's choice to replace Nolte in the chief's position.

Anderson remained Chief of Police for 33 months. The City Council launched impeachment proceedings against Chief Anderson, License Inspector Benjamin Bartlett, and members of the Board of Public Safety in September 1928. In the 1928 county elections, he was elected county clerk. In late December 1928, Anderson submitted his resignation as chief. The text of Chief Anderson's letter of resignation read as follows:

"Honorable Herbert Males and Board of Safety. Having been elected Clerk of the Vanderburgh Circuit Court the past election and as this term of office begins January first, I hereby tender my resignation as superintendent of the police department to take effect January 1, 1929."

Chief of Detectives Edward Sutheimer was appointed to fill the chief's position for the remaining year of Mayor Males' administration.

Evansville Police Department
Sergeant Richard Hubbard
15 N.W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, Indiana 47708
(812)436-4953 Fax (812)436-4957
E-Mail: rhubbard@evansvillepolice.com

This should help you out some more.

When Anderson resigned, he had served a total of 6 years as a member of the police department. The department's 8-year experiment with a mounted patrol began in 1927 during Chief Anderson's administration. Anderson ran for county clerk again in the election of 1932. The Roosevelt-Democratic landslide of 1932 buried Anderson, like his fellow Republicans. After losing the election, he returned to the trade that he had practiced before joining the police department in 1916, working as a bartender. In 1935, Anderson became a milkman. Later in life, he bought a dairy farm in Warrick County. After failing to make that enterprise profitable, he sold it. Anderson then moved back to Evansville, living at 209 First Avenue. He was appointed a Vanderburgh County deputy sheriff. He served as a guard at the Evansville Waterworks during World War II. In 1945 he moved to 26 East Chandler. He died on December 12, 1946. His wife’s name was Bertha and he had one brother whom lived in California.

Chief_Harry_AndersonMA19859342-0001.jpg

PICT0005b.JPG

DSCF0055.JPG

DSCF1128.JPG

Baba Louie

My! Those Evansville Cops certainly did like their handguns to be shiny & flashy back in the day, now didn't they? (not that there's anything wrong with shiny & flashy, mind you) Or is that just a "Chief of Police" badge of office sorta thing?

44 AMP

Staff
Sorry, no reference...

But as I recall, the original .357 Magnum loading was 15.5gr #2400 powder, driving a 158gr SWC for a reported 1550fps from the 8 3/8" barrel. This loading was (and is) too hot for nearly all smaller .357s, and at the time S&W advertised it as being suitable only for "large men" who were experienced handgunners. This loading took virtually every large gane aminal in North America, including some very large bears in the hands of a few experts and firmly established the .357 Magnum as the most powerful handgun of the era.

Yes, the .357 had been loaded down over the years, to where it is really only a shadow of it's original self. I do recall an article in Guns & Ammo back in the 70's (IIRC) where Jeff Cooper was testing a Model 66, and got his hands on a couple of boxes of the original 1935 .357 loading. Recoil was "stout", and to get the cases out he had to use a mallet on the ejector rod!

It was the introduction of medium frame guns that basically ensured that the .357 became downloaded, to ensure the use and useful life of these guns. Both S&W and Colt wanted their mid size guns to replace the large frame guns in police use, and the police (particularly Highway Patrolmen) wanted the .357's power available, so the guns were chambered in .357. But full house (original spec) .357 was too much for continual use (and in some cases even occasional use), and to keep the guns running (and being bought) the .357 was "mellowed" a bit. Still a powerful round, but not what it was back when it came out.

trigger happy

I have a 6 inch barreled Smith & Wesson model 19-3 that looks a lot like that (granted mine is a K Frame and not an N Frame) mine has a pinned barrel, recessed cylinder and old fashioned square butt

I rather like having it

Harry Callahan

I have a Model 586 6" Nickel(circa 1987). I am very seriously thinking about getting into reloading and am wondering if the 586 would be able to handle original loading recipes from '35? How far can I push it comfortably, without anyone getting hurt from blowing it up?

44 AMP

Staff
Harry,

If you follow good handloading techniques for working up loads, the gun will become uncomfortable to shoot, and you will have extraction problems well before you enter the range of pressures where the gun is at risk of blowing up. Your gun will likely not handle the 1935 loads. There are few that can. You may get close, through, if you are careful. Better to be a bit short than wrecked. You car's spedometer may go to 120+, but you can't safely drive it that fast very far, or very often without something bad happening

BY good practices, I mean starting with a load (lowest listed in a reputable manual - not something off the Internet) , and increasing the powder charge in small increments (.2gr or less) while changing NOTHING else. When you reach the point of showing pressure signs and/or extraction becomes sticky, STOP! Back off the last increase and you have the maximum working load for your gun with that combination of components. If you change ANYTHING (brass, primer, bullet ( or crimp), or lot# of powder) back off to the beginning and start over. You may top out before the top listed load in the manual, you may even exceed it (although this is not a good idea). Every gun and ammo combination is an individual, and max load in one gun may not be max in another, or maybe over max, maybe even dangerously.

Also, remember that temperature plays a part. A max load developed in spring with the temp in the 70s could be WAAY over max in the 110 degree summer heat.

Peter M. Eick

I have loaded up to 1550 with a 158 out of an 8 3/8" pre-27 with 2400 and had no problems. I then fired the same load in my Registered Magnum and got in the mid to low 1400's as I remember it.

838-pre27s.jpg

Here are my Pre-27 8 3/8's guns. One is unfired and the other is the one I worked the load up in. Here is what the Registered Magnum can do with that load in double action. (50 shots, 15 yards).

double_action.jpg

Or if it is shot just having fun.

reg_target.jpg

Or with an original box

reg_box.jpg

Or showing the Regstration mark:

registration_number.jpg

Or showing the top strap checking

top_strap.jpg

Yep, great guns. Worth every penny!

Oh yeah. I would not put one of my loads into your L or K frame. They are "impressive" to shoot.