What 9mm ammo do you use?

dontcatchmany

I now have purchased a 9mm semiauto hand gun. Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro.

Can not take possession of it until I get my ccw here in N.C.

Anyway, I am going to start stocking up on 9mm ammo.

Mostly I will probably have to get what is available, but seem to think that something between 124 gr and 147 grain would be best, with maybe a 135 gr most optimum. However 115 gr seems to be more available if not abundant.

I am sure I will get some JHP but FMJ seems to be more prevalent.

Give me ideas on what you folks use.

dayman

My preferances are:

Winchester (white box) 115gr. FMJ for practice.

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX JHP for defense.

But, in reality I shoot whatever I can find.

cajun47

for full size and short barrel 9mm i choose critical duty 135 gr. sorta shaped like fmj rounds. the red plug prevents clogging. and resist set back from chambering the round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0&list=PL0k8IScA_ejxNo3E4QjHvO7fTkd2HRHfv&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qFwl02W4Q&list=PL0k8IScA_ejxNo3E4QjHvO7fTkd2HRHfv&index=13

why is the fmj profile so important to me? cause i can't afford to shoot thousands of rounds of hps like gold dots at over $1 a shot to prove to myself my guns will shoot it reliable all the time.

AK103K

99% of what I shoot are my 124 grain FMJ reloads, loaded towards the top end of the load data. The other 1%, Winchester Ranger T 127 grain +P+.

If youre planning on shooting a lot, and dont already, look into getting into reloading. You wont really save any money, but you'll shoot a lot more for the same money.

zxcvbob

I reload using 135 grain commercial lead bullets. When I run out of those (it'll take a while because I bought so many when they were cheap) I'll start casting my own 124's.

I also have most of a box of 147 grain Winchester JHP's (the white box "personal protection" load), but my 9mm is not my primary HD gun so I doubt I'll ever use them.

You wont really save any money [by reloading], but you'll shoot a lot more for the same money.

You'll also be able to shoot when there's no ammo on the shelves.

Self defense. 9mm

Corbon DPX in either 95gr or 115gr. Standard pressure.

or

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p or +p+

I usually stick to standard pressure though.

JimmyR

For target use, I shoot whatever I can find- Lawman, USAAmmo, Winchester, Federal, etc.

My 9mm is my primary carry gun, and I use the Hornady Zombie rounds- literally the same as the Critical Defense, but the green tip helps me keep from making an ammo mistake between other calibers- I also have Hornady ammo for my 9mm Makarov, 38 special, and .357. This way, I can just give each round a passing glance, and know exactly what caliber it is.

DallasCMT

Amazing, exactly what I have been doing.

Picked up a box of 500 from Freedom's Houston store.

I WalMart would ever sell the Federal 100 pack of 115g FMJ for $21.97 again, I would be happy. :)

okiewita40

My 9mm is my only handgun at the moment. For range whatever FMJ I can find usually 115gr. Right now my SD ammo is cor-bon dpx 115gr +p.

shuler13

I use what I can get my hands on. Federal bulk of possible (inexpensive) for range time. Federal classic HiShock for defense. Know that like most guns, your pistol may not get along with certain brands so either don't go overboard on any one brand or be prepared to sell it if your new UCpro is picky. Along that line, be sure the pistol is cleaned and very well broken in before you declare whether an ammo works well in your gun or not.

I have had a couple pistols (Bersas and Sigs) that didn't get along with Remington UMC and Hornady zombie max during the first few hundred rounds but were fine later.

RC20

By a substantial margin what I found that was very accurate in my 9mm was the Golden Saber. Its a bore rider round and factory loaded they are amazing.

As a result that is my SD round. Cost wise I can't afford to shoot it a lot, but at the end of the range sessions I shoot one round using the lazer to check its all on. Invariably I hit the bulley at 15 yds (I accuracy test at 25, but 15 is my in house sight distance so that is where I want the laser on at.

I cannot reload it and get that accuracy (and hard to find anyway).

The Hornady XTP is very accurate, loads well and I buy that in bulk for my serious target work.

Other than that, any round nose inexpensive 9mm works fine for the rapid fire drills, left hand shooting (reloaded). I keep the weight at 115 or 124 to mach the 125 GS I use. Others thing the 145 gr size is better but I go with 124s.

Tomac

I carry Winchester 147gr Bonded, regardless of bbl length. More push but less snap making for faster followup shots.
Tomac

zeke4351

I have done a lot of reading and research on bullet ballistics. I also have looked at every gel test video I can find. I don't want to start a war here but from what i have learned there seems to be only one bullet weight for each caliber
that works the best and seems to be what the caliber was designed around. All LE use + P ( even though it doesn't say on the box) loads when available. There are no +P loads in 10 mm or .357 Sig because in their original design they are maxed out. The 124 grain 9mm in +P or + P + seems to be the best from what I have seen. The .40 S&W in +P with 155 or 165 grain seems to be the hot setup for that caliber. If you use anything other than a 125 grain bullet at 1450 fps for the 357 Sig you are not shooting 357 Sig. The 10mm seems the best with a 180 grain bullet loaded hot like the caliber was designed. Any grain bullet in these calibers will work but for the very best results from each caliber stick with what I have listed above. I didn't mention the .45 because I don't know of any agency anywhere that still uses it because of its lack of penetration. Don't get me wrong, the .45 will kill you and it is going to be my next purchase because I want one in my collection. The 200 grain +P seems to be the best in the .45.

Spats McGee

Administrator
zeke4351 said:
. . . I didn't mention the .45 because I don't know of any agency anywhere that still uses it because of its lack of penetration. Don't get me wrong, the .45 will kill you and it is going to be my next purchase because I want one in my collection. The 200 grain +P seems to be the best in the .45.
I'm familiar with several Arkansas law enforcement agencies that use the .45.