what 9mm ammo do you use for sd?

jrothWA

Look at the Hornady's XTPs...

especially the 124gr XTP's. very accurate.
Can use their 124gr FMJ-Fp for practise, uses same POA/POI.

gb_in_ga

I've got Georgia Arms 124 gr +P Gold Dots loaded up in my PT-92.

Quite frankly, I consider the PowrBall rounds to be a niche offering. IF your gun will only feed FMJs then I'd consider them, or perhaps even better some of those EFMJs that Federal has. Otherwise, I'll go with a more conventional premium JHP round. From what I've heard (sigh, no 1st hand experience) they have some penetration issues, as well as some problems with jacket separation.

Bruxley

NyTrilium 'Fang Face' JHP. No question THE SD/HD round. Amazing penetration through 'hard' sufaces but WILL NOT penatrate through a person.
Plus they 'explode' into a swirl of small sharp fragments that create severe 'hydrolic leakage'.

I have had alot of experience w/ these and it is all I will carry.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgis...tup=1&ida=14&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=3641967.5088

These WILL penetrate through cover but NOT through people. AMAZING rounds

mlandman

Either Speer Golddot 124 or Golden Saber +P 124 in 9mm. I spent the money to put 100 rounds of each through my carry gun (PM9) to assure myself of their reliability. I still have not tested my M&P9c since I do not have enough rounds to feel it is 100%. It did feed 25 +Ps, but there is time to wait. When I get around to 1000 practice rounds, I will test the +Ps.

If it don't work 100%, it does not get to go. ;)

Remember, accuracy at 25 yards is 22 yards too far.

Bruxley

The 'Crazy Stuff' is a solution to a problem.

FMJ rounds in 9mm lack 'stopping power' as it is called because they keep thier shape and tend to go through and through. This also presents the isssue of the rule ' Identify your target and what is BEYOND IT'. OVER penetration in SD/HD is serious consideration.

JHP, HST, HXT rounds fix OVER penetration but can lack ADEQUATE penetration. +p+ velocities are the LE aproach to the issue.

These are rounds solve this by penetrating very well and spending all thier enertia IN the soft tissue of the target.

These aren't 'trick' rounds just doing 'crazy stuff' these are technology saving lives.

Wildalaska

Whatever is laying around. Makes no difference at all to the average Joe.:D

If I do carry a exotic load (like if I get off my lazy butt and load a fresh mag) I use whatever the local PD carries...much better for liabilty reasons...those fancy Tungsten Penetrator rounds are just what ya need in a semi questionable shoot to make your legal life very very miserable or even better, if you are unlucky enough to have screwed up "los muertes no hablo" get that homeowners insurance ready for the yummy plaintiffs verdict

WildalbietnotinAlaska

The Body Bagger

Speer Gold dot 124gr +p. Extreme shocks are a joke, if they were that good that would be standard issue nationwide with every police department.

Manedwolf

Extreme Shock's marketing seems to aim at people who grew up playing Counterstrike in high school or college. :barf:

308nato

I agree with Wildalaska who needs a lot of fancy sounding ammo when 1
or 2 147 gr jhps in center body mass should be enough to stop any
attack on ones self or is it that Hydroshocks sound more macho.

Donut

124gr +P Federal HSTs.

They seem to be in short supply lately, so up next on my list is the 124gr. +P Gold Dot.