What 7.62 x 39 bolt guns are out there?

Sparks1957

Since I have a couple of AK-47 variants and keep a pretty good supply of ammo around, I'm starting to think a bolt-action rifle in this chambering might be a good addition to the collection.

Who is making bolt actions in this caliber these days?

Dr. A

i have a CZ 527, and hear that Howa will be making another small bolt action by the end of the year. Ruger has made one and so has Savage. For some reason, they no longer make them. I also have a Ruger Mini-30, a Rock River Lar 47, and a PSA AR 47. The Rock River is my favorite, and the PSA is not far behind. Both are 100% with decent ammo. The PSA does not like Tula ammo and the Ruger Mini-30 is very picky. It'll shoot Silver bear as far as the cheap stuff is concerned, but not accurately. They all are way more accurate than my AK's. The CZ is the most accurate, and has been used for hunting a fair amount.

Sparks1957

That CZ does look really nice. My CZ pistols (75B, P-01, and 83) are among my favorite handguns, so I am convinced of their quality and workmanship.

Any others I should be aware of, or any feedback on the CZ rifle?

Mobuck

Chas Daly "Mini-Mauser"
Remington 799(same as above)

Nice looking, decent shooting 20" bolt action carbines. No pump or lever action that I'm aware of.

fourbore

Not a bolt, but Ruger made a classy little No1 single shot this/last year.

My Google "7.62 x39 bolt action rifles"

Yields Up Zastava mini mauser, whcih is not a mauser at all and IMHO, a junker compared to CZ527. They are cheap money and might have a place.

Apparently Savage 10 FCM Scout at one time, based on a link to AR15 forum. All savage are magnum length actions. That is pretty crazy way to build a 762x39.

Also from ar15.com:
"No longer made/imported that I know of, but Interarms used to import the Mini Mark X and it was a nice little rifle."

And the discontinued Ruger 77 is mentioned. As is NEF break open single shot.

The only viable, affordable, quality option is CZ 527. Or so it would seem.

futurerider103

The Savage Scout is built on a short action.
One thing you will need to know is what ammo you are going to be shooting because the bore is .301 bore on most 7.62x39 bolt guns. Savage is .301 and the Ruger from what I've heard starts at .301 then goes to .310 I believe.

Either way I'm building one on a stainless Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter action so I think savage would be best because you can buy a used short action for less than $300 and an X-Caliber barrel through Apache Gun Works for about $275 and have an awesome shooter for less than the CZ which had a horribly ugly magazine setup

Last edited:

chris in va

I've had my 527 for 12 years now. It has survived many buy/sell cycles, it's that good. The trigger can be adjusted every way imaginable.

TnTnTn

Ruger has made a couple of runs of the M77 in x39. I have one from the first run made in 1991 or so. It's a very nice rifle.

dahermit

Ruger has made a couple of runs of the M77 in x39. I have one from the first run made in 1991 or so. It's a very nice rifle.
Ditto...I have one of the Rugers also, but don't know when it was made. Stainless Steel, in a black plastic Ruger stock. It is secreted in my garage behind a hidden panel for when a target of opportunity appears in my back yard. Couple of woodchucks, one fox, one dog attacking my pet geese, etc.

Kvon2

Love my CZ 527...just a fun gun to shoot. They says the break of the trigger should scare you, the CZ see trigger WILL scare you lol

Venom1956

the 527 is THE 7.62x39 Just get the best leaves everything else in the dust. Its spec'd for .311 ammo so cheap steel shoots just fine out of it. what other rifle can you get great irons and four bucks for twenty shots?

bamaranger

bolt 7.62x39

Whatever bolt x39mm rifle you get, I think you will find it a practical, useful and fun firearm. I've owned one for 15 years or so, and hunt it every deer season, within its range, it's worked very well for me on woodland, southern whitetails. Even if I don't see game, the little rifle is a delight to carry hither and yon,and its stainless/synthetic make up makes for easy maintenance and cleaning, especially in the wet.

Whether you load for it, or shoot factory ammo, it is still relatively cheap to feed. My bolt does not get import steel case, but it still uses about half the powder charge of a .308, twice as many shots per pound of powder. Fast and flat enough for useful practice to 200 yds, it will not beat you up with noise and recoil.

I bought the rifle as a starter (deer) for bamaboy but he took to the .243 instead pretty quickly, and never really warmed up to the x39mm. If and when he hunts now, it's all .308......leaving that tidy bolt x39 for me.

I consider it one of my "better buys" and would not want to be without one.

eastbank

not for every body, but i got a good deal at a estate sale on a rem aac model 7 in 300blk that weights less than six lbs, walmart has rem 120gr ammo for less than 16.00 a box. but i reload for it and its very close to the 7.62x39 round. i bought 500 reformed cases on line for 72.00 and load them with a 7.62x39 seating die as they are ready to load when you get them,sized,decapped and champfered. i do have a very early 77 ruger in 7.62x39 SS that i also load for and use and think they make a nice walk around rifle or for the young or lady hunters that will take deer size animals at reasonable ranges with shot placement. eastbank.

futurerider103

Probably will be a wise decision since you can go buy one any day other than the magazine setup but I bet it will have nice wood CZ'S always seem to

Sparks1957

Okay, I ordered one from Bud's today, should be here by early next week. Some very positive reviews out there, and doesn't require me to stock another cartridge either.

It's going to be fun shooting this one, I can tell.

Any suggestions for a scope or a red-dot? My 58-year-old eyes aren't what they used to be. Looking at 100-200 yard target shooting mainly, don't hunt any more unless I need to.