What 243 bullet for coyotes???

Cowboy_mo

I recently bought a rifle in 243 Winchester for coyote hunting. I plan to load my own but can't decide on the bullet weight and mfg.

If anyone has had success with a particular bullet mfg. and weight please share your experience.

Daryl

Use whatever shoots best from your rifle. No bad choices, other than the size of the hole they'll leave. The .243 will anchor coyotes without issue, no matter the bullet used.

and all bullets from this cartridge, if loaded to "normal" velocities, are going to leave an exit hole on a broadside shot. Loads using powders such as Trailboss do not quality in this statement.

I've used 55 & 70 gr Nosler BT's, Sierra SPBT's of various weight, and various Speer bullets as well. Since I use 100 gr bullets for big game with the .243, that's what I've shot a majority of coyotes with, too.

Right now, I load Speer 100 gr SPBT's almost exclusively in this cartridge. They shoot extremely well from my rifle, and cause far less damage to meat than Sierra bullets I've tried, with better penetration. I refuse to pay extra for Nosler Partitions or Speer Grand Slams in this cartridge, mostly because they have a lower BC, and I've seen no real improvement in performance on game from them.

If the furs are to be saved, I highly recommend something like a .223 or .17 Remington. The larger centerfires are hard on coyote fur.

Daryl

Hunter Customs

I agree with what Daryl posted.

I have two rifles in 243 caliber and at times I use both for shooting coyotes.
Both rifles are Reminton 700's, one has a bull barrel 24 inches long, the other has a 20 inch barrel in standard hunting configuration.

The bull barrel gun loves the heavier bullets; I've been loading Nosler 95 gr BT's for it.
It will shoot 3/8 inch groups at 100 yards all day long with the 95 gr BT's, it sure does anchor the coyotes.
It's my long range shooter, I have it sighted in at a 300 yard zero.

My short barrel gun seems to prefer the lighter bullets, I'm loading Sierras 70 gr HPBT bullets for it.
It shoot's 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards with these bullets.
I have it sighted at a 200 yard zero and the 70 gr Sierras seem to do a good job at anchoring the coyotes.

I'm using the same powder in both loads but different charge weights.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

FrankenMauser

To save pelts, an 80gr FMJ would do well.

If you don't want pelts, use anything you want... 75 gr HP, 65/75/87 gr V-Max, 70/80/90/95 gr Ballistic Tip -- or use the 'yotes as practice for big game, and use your standard hunting load.

Doodlebugger45

Completely agree with what's been said so far. For whatever reason, my .243 will shoot 95 and 100 gr bullets very well. I use Hornady SST or BTSP, whatever I find on sale. It's easy to find a good accurate load for those weights, several powders work well. But being stubborn, I am still trying to find a good load for the 75 gr bullets. They aren't bad for accuracy, just not as good as the heavier bullets are. So far, my best 75 gr load is just a match for some factory Winchester 80 gr stuff I had. I'll keep trying, but for now if I want an accurate round, I pull out the 95 or 100 gr loads.

Cowboy_mo

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!

I bought some 90 Prvi and 100 gr Federals to sight in and see what the rifle will do with factory loads and to acquire a supply of cases. I am looking for some 58 gr Hornadys for something light.

I been looking for modified case but the whole world seems to be out of stock.

What powders have you guys used for your loads?

A_Gamehog

The most critical point not mentioned is the twist of your rifle,

That dictates the bullet and range of weights. Then the powders.

Good advice above but it's pointless without the twist of YOUR gun not theirs.

Then the facts will follow with their experience they can answer your question.

If you have a slow twist you won't be able to shoot 90-105's

Sorry if this seems blunt but one detail of your success is missing.

This forum is great in that whatever reloading question you are facing somebody here already solved the problem.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

I am looking for some 58 gr Hornadys for something light.

Be aware that many shooters complain of accuracy problems with the 58 gr V-Max (including myself, and my brother). I generally avoid anything under 75 grains (1:10" twist, here).

kenno

I once lept out of a moving truck and hit the ground running with a loaded 45 in my hand, saw a coyote running away from me, shot and killed it with one shot through the heart as we were both running.
I was driven to do that thing by the desire to learn if I could do the same in combat. Perhaps that experience saved my life. I occasionaly wonder about the coyote's point of view, it has not stopped me from shooting yoteys.
Virtually any common 243 bullet load will work well on yotes; but it is best to remain the triggerman, not the person that becomes one with the target.

Cowboy_mo

Frankenmauser??

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 58 gr? If we're talking 1.5 inch or less at 100, I personally would have no complaint.

I checked the Winchester site and my rifle with the 22" barrel calls for a 1 in 10" twist.

Scout

I once lept out of a moving truck and hit the ground running with a loaded 45 in my hand, saw a coyote running away from me, shot and killed it with one shot through the heart as we were both running.
I was driven to do that thing by the desire to learn if I could do the same in combat. Perhaps that experience saved my life. I occasionaly wonder about the coyote's point of view, it has not stopped me from shooting yoteys.
Virtually any common 243 bullet load will work well on yotes; but it is best to remain the triggerman, not the person that becomes one with the target.
___

Huh?

FrankenMauser

___

Huh?

Think "Gecko45", and you'll be on the right track.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 58 gr? If we're talking 1.5 inch or less at 100, I personally would have no complaint.

1.5" would have been a disappointment, from that rifle... but acceptably accurate. Instead I was getting 7" at 100 yards. :barf: Multiple powders; multiple seating depths; no improvement. :(

Rifleman1776

I used to use Sierra Blitz. They were the type that fragmented on contact. Object was predator/vermin control and safety. Fragmenting meant any contact with rocks, branches, etc. would not allow the bullet to travel a 1/2 mile or more to area homes or people. I did not care about saving pelts. Dead critters stayed where they dropped for the vultures.

langenc

All good opinions.
Now mine-depending on how many will be shot(at) yearly and the distance--why not just get practice for deer season?? Just use the deer bullet(s).
That will give wonderful practice for other shooting. I guess you didnt mention deer hunting w/ the 243. That's what Id do and have done..

Ill bet you wont shoot more than 20-25 rounds/ year.

jimbob86

Dead critters stayed where they dropped for the vultures.

$10-$20 at the fur buyer's is $10-$20 bucks ...... I know it ain't a lot, but it'd make a good dent in a box of bullets, a pound of powder, etc.....

.... oh, the good ol' days, when a dead winter coyote brought $50+, and gas was 79 cents a gallon...... ..... I got my first deer rifle (a lightly used Rem 788 in .243 in 1983) for less money than my uncle got for a light colored coyote ....

Hunter Customs

"$10-$20 at the fur buyer's is $10-$20 bucks ...... I know it ain't a lot, but it'd make a good dent in a box of bullets, a pound of powder, etc....."

jimbob86,
I might have to start driving to your part of the country to sell the yotes.
The fur buyers down this way offer about six dollars if you don't mess up the hide when you peel them and the holes you shoot in them are not to large.

I wish the state or county would pay a bounty on them, like some states do.

I killed 27 last season, most I threw in the ditches some I did not even bother to go pick up.

There was a guy I was giving them to year before last but I could not get in touch with him this year.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Rifleman1776

To me, the most valuable coyote is a dead coyote. They stink so bad you would have to pay me way-way more than $20.00 to skin one. The bullet I choose ruins the hide. I choose the bullet for safety. Where I shot houses and barns could be seen a 1/2 mile to about 2 miles from my property.