what 22 pistol for new shooter?

scoutleader

All,
My wife wants to learn how to shoot. She was very anti guns when we meet and has now said she wants to learn how to shoot one of my guns. Problem is all I have here at our house in pistols are a large frame S&W 357 and a 1911, and Taurus PT145. I don't want to mess up and make her recoil shy, so I will get her a new 22 auto. Question is what is a good starter 22LR? I want something easy to clean and one that will be fun for both of us at the range.
Thanks
Danny

barryhud

22 pistol

How about a ruger 22 pistol? They have a large variety to choose from, will hold their value, and can be picked up used if so desired. I have a mk1 and a mk111 hunter.

Barry

digicaf

Don't know if you can get ahold of one, but I have an old High Standard Supermatic and it beats the heck out of any other 22lr I've fired.

Pharmer81

I second the Neos. I've got a 6" version and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've shot the Ruger's which are also very nice, but the Neos is just more fun for me, and it has a rail so as said above, you can mount a red dot on it very easily. I've shot about a thousand rounds through mine since owning it (bought it about 6 weeks ago) and haven't had one failure or jam. My buddy had one fail to eject all the way (got caught in the slide). Very accurate gun and quite a bit cheaper than the Rugers and Brownings. Also, disassembling the Neos compared to a Ruger is like comparing changing oil in a car to overhauling the engine.

Another good option, especially for someone with small hands is the Walther P22. I haven't shot one, but have held them and they are neat little guns. They don't look like they would be very accurate though.

saber9

One of the Ruger MK III's or Browning Buckmarks would be excellent. For a less expensive pistol, the Beretta Neos would be a good buy.

You mentioned you had a 1911. One model of Ruger MK III is a 22/45. It is the same as all the MK III's except the grip shape and angle is like a 1911.

Sparky33

I have a ruger mark III hunter and love it but wouldn't suggest if ease of disassembly is a must. It is kinda of a pain until you get the hang of it and might put her off. Beside that its a great shooter. On a side note I have a colt woodsman .22 for sale in the for sale section. It's in great shape and easy to shoot. Not to mention the woodsman is the iconic .22. Good luck

Sorry I wasnt sure if the plug for my .22 for sale is acceptable in this post , but it didnt seem too out of line with the thread

gopack

Buying for the wife? Let her pick it out. A lot a "good" .22 is fit and feel.
The 22A, Buck Marks and Rugers are all excellent .22 pistols. I have all three and like all three. She may like the P22. I have one and think it is a cut below the others I mentioned in quality and ability to shoot accurately. However, a majority of the folks who own them really like them.

SW40F

gopack said:
Buying for the wife? Let her pick it out.
Amen!!!

My wife first shot, and later bought a Beretta NEOS Inox. She changed the black grips for 'pretty' black grips with blue inlay.

She later found an bought a 'pretty Ruger Mark II target with Cocobolo wood target grips.

She likes the feel of both, shoots them well, and lets me play with them on occasion. :D

Go shopping with her, and let her ask the questions.

Pilot

Another vote for the Ruger, but try to find a MK II instead of a MK III, but either should serve you well.

trader vic

Good Starter

I recently picked up a S&W 22A-1, a nice .22 semiauto. Very happy with it, fires all types of ammo & functions perfectly. I think it would be a good choice for a starter or as I use mine for practice sessions with the price of ammo going through the roof. Just an all around fun gun. I got mine for $200.00 new & they threw in a brick of ammo & 2 spare mags, that's a lot of bang for the buck. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

If you "don't want to make her recoil shy" but still want her to learn to shoot an effective caliber, load up that "larger frame" you have with some weal .38spl rounds and let her loose with it.

bluehandgun

a vote for browning

i am a huge ruger fan. when i went to get a .22 for target shooting, plinking and rodent control i fully anticipated getting a ruger. i picked a buck mark and have not regretted it. i think it is the perfect 22. seems to be a better made gun then the ruger, it was easier to rack, great grip and grip angle... and it was good looking.
DSCN1804.jpg

JWT

For the money any Ruger Mark II or Mark III is hard to beat. Extremely solid and reliable guns and good shooters.

Lance09

walther

The Walther P22. It is a cheap gun. It fits my hand perfectly, I am 16 years old. I have put over 2k rds. thru it and i haven't had a single problem. i <3 it!
-lance :cool: