What .22 do I need?

alamo

I was at the gunshow here in Austin yesterday and started looking at .22 semi-autos. I thought I might get one later this summer but don't have any experience with any of them. This would strictly be for fun - plinking, target practice, etc. No competition, concealment, etc. Would prefer to buy new & don't want or need a top of the line gun. The SIG looked very nice but it was $400+.

The Browning Buckmark "Camper" looked pretty nice, felt good. I saw many Rugers. They were nice but seemed a bit heavy and I seem to vaguely recall reading they are difficult to take down / reassemble. Politics not withstanding, the S&Ws were very nice. Believe they were Model 22s with 2 different length barrels.

I also saw a .22 conversion kit for my Glock 19 but as it was $225, I would prefer to just get another gun as most of the ones I saw were in the low $200 range.

Anyone have any recommendations on the Browning, Ruger, S&W or some other manufacturer?

landshark

I have just put 700 rounds through a new Browning Buckmark this month with no problems at all. Great gun, shoots great and fit me much better than the others.

Glock_Racer

Ditto with PreserveFreedom, buy one and someday you can go all out and turn it into this Ruger 22/45 monster:

2245muzzlebrk.jpg

Las Vegan Cajun

Ruger 22/45

I have a Ruger 22/45 that I bought for my kids and I use it quite a bit myself. Have put a couple thousand rounds through it so far.

Don't let the stories about disassembly and reassembly stop you, it's not that bad once you get the hang of it.

The Ruger website shows a suggested retail of $305.00 for this model, I paid $250.00 at local gun store for mine.

tonyz

Ruger

Here is my Ruger Mark II KMK-678 Target.

CV68827.jpg

The only problem in 25,000 rounds was a broken firing pin.

Tony

trlmech

Nothing wrong with the Ruger, I have one that has had a bunch of bricks shot through it and still keeps on ticking but you might want to think about the Sig Trailside. I bought one for my son but after shooting it I got him another gift and keep the pistol. Really sweet.

P

PreserveFreedom

All these fine Ruger photos on one thread. I don't know if I can contain myself! It makes me wanna have kids so I can start them shooting.

Hal

You really can't go wrong with either the Ruger or the Browning. I own a couple of each. I also own a 22s, and politics aside, I'd still advise against one. Even though mine will shoot rings around any stock Browning or Ruger it's still a cheaply made gun that isn't made for the long run.

9x19

Having owned all teh ones you've mentioned, I prefer the Brownings. I have three BuckMarks:

A 4" Micro with adjustable sights.

A 5.5" Standard with Tasco Accu-Dot

A 5.5" Target with Simmons 2x scope.

The Micro and Standard both like the Federal Bulk Pack Hollow Points from Wal-Mart, while the Target prefers the CCI Mini-Mags.

View

alamo

Sounds like either the Browning or Ruger is the way to go. I will check them out some more & also see if my range has any to rent.
I have found over the years that to sleep on these decisions for awhile. Several times I bought on impulse only to realize later I wish I had gotten something else. This forum really helps a lot though, it is great to get the benefit of others experience.

Clemson

If the Ruger semi-auto's are too heavy for your tastes, consider a used S&W Model 17 revolver. The pre-Model 17, which S&W called the K-22, is also fairly often seen. These guns go for around $300-350 in excellent condition. I got a K-22 with somewhat worn finish for $260 a couple of years ago. They are accurate, well-balanced (particularly the ones with the 6" tapered barrels), beautifully made, and they shoot totally reliably. If I could only have one .22, it would be a K-22. I hunted squirrels for an entire season with one when I was in high school. It taught me a lot about sight alignment!

Watch-Six

It's really hard to beat the Ruger, but I prefer the grip angle on the Browning to the standard Ruger and I don't care for the feel of the plastic 22/45. Buckmark for me, but either brand will serve you well.