What 17.hmr to get?

nbkky71

I went with a Marlin 917V myself and really enjoy it a lot. I got mine in a private sale and it had a mount and optics already. Paid more than $200 though...

bcrash15

I just picked up a Savage .17hmr not too long ago. Love it, one of the most fun guns to shoot. I was looking around with about a $200 budget too, but I thought that for just a tad more, I could get about as much of a target rifle as I could want. Heavy barrel, accu-trigger, etc. all for around $275. $75 wasn't too much when I considered all the price of the ammo I would be shooting over the years. Although you can get about 350 rounds for $75, so it was a harder rationalization than with a large caliber gun, but I found a way :D. Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with the Savage 93 series, a CZ, or a Marlin from what I hear, and there are a few others that are great performers out of the box as well.

Night Trooper

I got a used NE Firearms single shot .17HMR and am blown away by it's accuarcy. I got mine for a bit less than $200 w/ a nice scope. You need one for the 100-150 yd shots to see the holes! Great cartridge but not on windy days!!

TPAW

I shoot a Marlin 917V and can clover leaf my rounds at 100 yards. Little or no wind of course.

hunter33

Yea thats wy i want one, their so accurate.I shot my dads friends and at about 100 yards away i was shooting hole in hole.

dmickey

I'm sure your dad's friends were no too happy with you shooting them!! :eek: What hole were you shooting holes in?? :confused:

hunter33

IdahoG36

I had a 917V, and it was pretty accurate, but the trigger pull was better suited for a military rifle. If you can get a Savage with the accutrigger, I would. I sold my Marlin and bought a CZ452 Varmint in 17HM2. It is by far the most accurate rimfire I have shot in my life. Groups at 50 yards are one hole, at 100 yards you could cover the group with a quarter. Now it's a different story if the wind picks up.

Lawyer Daggit

I found a 9417- there are still a few about if you look around.

Personally I have found the round a bit of a dissapointment. Whilst I like its laser like trajectory, it is very much effected by the wind and is not a good stopper.

The jury is still out, but I am forming the view that the .22mag is superior.

USNairman

CZ 452 or 453 would be my choice and I have owned the 17HMR in CZ, Savage and Marlin and have fired the Henry 17HMR that my friend has. The CZ is the best gun for the many im my opinion.

USNairman

the accu-trigger feels crap compared to the single set trigger of the CZ 453. If you have not ever tried the set trigger on a CZ then you have no idea what your missing.

Yithian

I second USN. +1

The CZ is far easier to use, has the set trigger, and a fine wood stock.
The caliber is only a 200 yard range, tops.
If you aren't in a competition, the heavy barrels are a waste.

The CZ 452 is without the set trigger and usually near $100.00 less than the CZ 453.
A fair trade for if you do decide to go competitive.

The CZ is NOT cheap tho... but you will definitly get what you pay for.
It is just that much better than even the Savage w/Accutriger.

CraigC

$200 isn't much to spend but the good news is that it's difficult to find a .17HMR that is NOT unbelievably accurate. My $300 Savage with no tuning or bedding piles the 20gr XTP into ½"@100yds. I think you'll be happy with yours.

The jury is still out, but I am forming the view that the .22mag is superior.

While the trajectory and accuracy are superb, I have to agree with Lawyer Daggit that the .17HMR is not what people would make you think and it won't be sending the .22Mag into early retirement. The .17 is nowhere near as destructive and shot placement becomes critical. It has its place but I believe it should be reserved for small varmints and predators. Works great on squirrels if you stick to headshots.