Whadda ya know! Glocks do rust...well, sorta.

stinkeypete

There is this thought experiment called “the ship of Theseus” that deals with identity.

For us, you can change out every single part except the part with the serial number on it, fairly much as the owner did, and claim it’s the same firearm.

Sure, replace the trigger group, magazine, firing pin, springs, pins, barrel... polish up the grip frame.. it will run.

What if I dropped by old shotgun in the drink? It was made before serial numbers were required. If I disassemble my shotgun completely, and add new parts to each little part to make a new shotgun, did I drop one shotgun in the drink and pull out 15 perfectly functional shotguns?

I just wonder what the heck someone is gonna shoot from a kayak. Clearly maintaining uprightness is not a skill the owner had.

(I can roll a kayak both sides and with just hands on my strong side.)

Last edited:

l.cutler

As I read the article, the police fired the gun as it was found. The only things the owner replaced were the trigger spring and firing pin spring.

AK103K

I just wonder what the heck someone is gonna shoot from a kayak. Clearly maintaining uprightness is not a skill the owner had.
I take it you dont carry a gun with you on your kayak trips then?

Ive always carried the gun I carry daily on our canoe/kayak trips, and have gone in a couple of times wearing it as well. Thats just reality, and the nature of the beast and what a lanyard is for. The river especially has a way of reliving you of things that arent secured to your person or in a secured pocket. ;)

I carry a handgun on a daily basis, and everywhere I go. Why wouldnt I take it along and whats a kayak have to do with it? :)

bedbugbilly

Been shooting 50+ years and just bought my first Glock a few months ago - from the article, looks like I can depend on it even more so - but I don't plan on swimming with it. Sounds like a good reason to have a lanyard tied to tif you can't keep your boat upright. LOL

Rob228

In the comments he states that he did not fire the ammo for safety reasons. I definitely respect that, but I sure am curious as to how it will work after that long under water. Also, how much the corrosion effects expansion. Again, I respect his decision to opt out.

When I walked into a lake with my Glock 19 still on my hip to retrieve a bass that had wrapped the stringer line around a stump I stopped carrying the ammo that got wet, but on my next range trip it worked perfectly.

AK103K

In a discussion on another site about how waterproof ammo was, I took a handful of my reloads, and let them soak a couple of days. The result was this, a few fired fine, a few were underpowered, and I ended up with a bullet in the barrel.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Now, I do nothing to try and waterproof my reloads, but Im pretty confident that a short dip wouldnt be an issue.

Over the years, Ive "washed" quite a few "speed strips" of 38's that were my reload, and I always threw them into a bag for range practice. They all fired when I did shoot them.

I would be surprised if the ammo that had been under saltwater, or even freshwater for 6 months, would fire, even military stuff that had a sealant. But, theres only one way to know for sure. :)

Forte S+W

Talk about a conversation piece.

Seriously, I imagine that the owner and possibly even his descendents will be telling the talk of the G17 that was lost in a Kayak accident, recovered six months later after being discovered by a fisherman on the ocean floor, then returned in rusted yet still perfectly functional condition. Also, the look of the Glock once it had been cleared up definitely had some character to it. Some folks may obsess over every little smudge on their firearms, but personally I feel that there's nothing cooler than a well-worn firearm.
After all, what is a weapon without a few battle-scars?