Wha Tha

Hawg

The Charleston Museum identifies this as an 1860 Army. Prototype maybe?

armory-700x300.jpg

Hawg

Yep, rebated cylinder, Army grip, creeping lever, everything is 60 Army except the dang barrel, even the front sight is 60 Army.

Jo6pak

I'm glad they went with the round barrel in production.

IMO, the 1860 Army is the most beautiful handgun ever produced.

Fingers McGee

I'd say it's probably the way the light is hitting the barrel that makes it look like its part octagonal. That, and the fact that it's flipped.

Beagle333

I'd say it's probably the way the light is hitting the barrel that makes it look like its part octagonal. That, and the fact that it's flipped.

+1
I'd say it's under a fluorescent fixture. You can see the long white tubes reflected in the cylinder and recoil shield, as well as along the barrel.

mykeal

Sorry. I don't see any fluorescent tubes reflected in the cylinder or the barrel. If there were there would be continuity between the two, and there definitely is none. That's an octagonal barrel.

zullo74

I just emailed the curator of exhibits at the Charleston museum and asked him if the revolver pictured on their website is a round or octagonal barreled 1860 Army Colt. As soon as I get his response, I will post it here. Let's get the truth and quit speculating.

zullo74

Here is our answer....

Dear Joe,
Thank for letting me know about this. (I just a minute ago responded with an email to the same question from one of your subscribers!)
In any case, you are correct in stating that this is a hard light reflection giving the barrel an appearance of being octagonal in the photo. It is, in fact, round just like other 1860s. The piece is on exhibit in our City Under Siege gallery.

J. Grahame Long
Curator of History
The Charleston Museum
360 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
(843) 722-2996 ext.252
glong@charlestonmuseum.org
www.charlestonmuseum.org

zullo74

Mykeal wrote: "-1. Sorry. I don't see any fluorescent tubes reflected in the cylinder or the barrel. If there were there would be continuity between the two, and there definitely is none. That's an octagonal barrel."

fce32f95.gif

mykeal

Well, that's the answer. I still don't see the reflections. That's a hard line on the barrel, not a soft one that is usually found on a curved surface. But, it looks like I missed this one.:(

Hawg

It sure do look like a hybrid between a 51 and 60. But after the day I had yesterday I ain't sayin nuthin.:D