WFT case trimmer review

troy_mclure

since the issue of hatred of case trimming has been coming up lately i finally talked a neighbor down enough to get this little crow gunworks wft(worlds finest trimmer).
pix547013223.jpg

you put it in the drill and stick the brass in the hole in the "top".

i grabbed my drill in my vice and locked the trigger and went to town. i grab a handfull of brass and go. it is easy, simple and fast. ill be timing it here soon.

its wayyyyy faster than my zip trim, no chunking or un-chucking brass, just stick it in the hole.

there are very few reviews on it so i thought i would add one here.

i am not associated with little crow gunworks or getting anything from them. just figured id share some info with you guys.

Last edited:

Don H

Does it deliver consistant case lengths with square (even) case mouths? Is it adjustable for length?

troy_mclure

yes and yes, they recomend giving the case 1/4 turn once cutting has been stopped to remove any burs and level it out.

and it comes set to factory spec, but its fully adjustable.

physikal

What's the advantage of this one over a possum hollow trimmer? It's 3x the cost and does the same thing right?

Smokey Joe

Diff. ctgs???

Troy McClure--I have to echo Itman's post--How do you change cartridges?? Or is this a one-cartridge thing; want another cartridge, buy another trimmer?

Also, how do you hold onto the brass as you "stick it into the hole in the top?"

Can't quite visualize how this thing works.

A photo or 2 of the gadget in action would be helpful.

troy_mclure

its trimmer per "family", ie: '06, .223, etc...

i hold the shells by hand. no cramps, tho i only have done it for 15 mins strait as a max.

its only for bottleneck cases, it spaces off the shoulder, so no straight wall cases.

i didnt realize that the possum hollow one was delrin, ive never been able to get my hands on one.

a lathe should work fine, a drill press is not recommended tho.

ill take a picture and post it soon oh how its used.

troy_mclure

ok, heres the interior view of how the cutter trims the brass.
100_0427.jpg

heres how the brass goes.

100_0426.jpg

ill email them and see if they will weigh in with more/better info.

troy_mclure

i looked long and hard for reviews on it, i figured id add to the few out there.

i decided to get it in my 2 highest volume cartridges, and just use the zip trim for the low volume stuff.

troy_mclure

ok, just trimmed 500 .223 cases(of 2700) mixed milsurp(very long necks) and commercial, with a handful of .204 ruger cases(sized to .223) thrown in.

first 100: 5m 48s,
second 5m 32s,
third 5m 19s,
fourth 5m 31s,
fifth 5m 15s.

its all about your case placement, and how much you grab.

if i had a large pocket apron it would go much faster.

i have the un-trimmed brass in a bucket to my right, the trimmed brass goes to a bucket on my left.

i grab a handful(small handfuls are faster(less fumbling)) with my right hand, and feed the brass and drop it in the trimmed bucket with my left.

im expecting to break 5m/100 in the next few hundred i do.

the biggest drawback i have found is the noise. i bought a cheapo $20 drill. it is very loud. im sure a better quality drill would work better.

mineralman55

WFT Trimmer

+1 on this trimmer. I bought one from Little Crow several months ago, and it is excellent. Each one trims a "family" of cartridges, such as .308/.243 or 30-06/25-06/35 Whelen. The case is inserted into the opening and is indexed off the shoulder of the case. I first experimented with the WFT in a hand held drill, then after understanding it chucked it into my lathe. It is simple to use with very little practice. I found it trims the cases square every time, and cases didn't require chamfering or deburing although I did it anyway. I wear a "grippy" glove on my right hand and feed them into the trimmer. I did 500 .308 cases in 2-3 hours, no cramping in my hand at all.

Rather than buy a second one for my 30-06 cases, I simply adjusted the cutting length (instructions are included) to what I wanted and began. You have to hold the 30-06 cases steady in order to get a square cut, but I did several hundred this way. It's a great product. Highly recommended.