Westpoint/Savage Mod 489

MEDDAC19

I got this .22 S,L,LR, lever action, single shot, for next to nothing. I am curious about it's history, Serial #C2397xx. As we all know Savage keeps no history on their products so I'm hoping you can help. It's a great little shooter and trainer.

johnbt

This is slow going...

"WESTPOINT Tradename on arms made by Savage for Cotter & Company"

"The history of True Value began with John Cotter. Our founder worked in a retail store beginning at age 12 and built his experience over the next 32 years before creating Cotter & Company. He established the hardware co-op in 1948 with 25 retail members. In 1997, Servistar/Coast to Coast merged with Cotter & Company to form TruServ. In 2005, to leverage the strength and recognition of our leading consumer brand, TruServ was renamed True Value Company."

Like I said, this is slow going. Sometime between '48 and '97. Now what to do to narrow it down? Hmmm.

Got a picture or two of the gun?

John

johnbt

Hey, the Hooisiergunworks site lists...

Cotter & Co. 489 Savage 89

...they don't list anything under Westpoint. Grrrr, missed that when I looked yesterday.

John...I don't keep reference books at the office...Savage 89???

(Or maybe it's a Stevens 89. I can't remember, but it's the same company.)

MEDDAC19

Got some info elsewhere, Westpoint was made by Cotter & Co. Thank you for your help, it was made around 1976-1989.