Western field/Commercial Mauser manufacture date.

Polinese

I have a commercial mauser maked Western Field, which I know to be the Montgomery Ward store brand. Model EJN-75 in 30-06 Receiver is marked "made in Belgium" with a 4 digit serial on the right side.

Is there any info to tell when this rifle was made?

natman

Are you sure about the model number? There's a (Montgomery Wards) Western Field EJN-575 listed as an FN commercial 98 here.

The action was made by FN in Liege, Belgium. The barrels on the Montgomery Wards versions were usually microgroove and were probably made by Marlin.

I don't know the exact year for the MW version, but similar guns were sold by Sears in the early 50s as the Models 50 & 51 using the same FN action and a chrome lined, conventionally rifled barrel made by High Standard.

Last edited:

Polinese

I took a closer look at the model number and its def EJN-75 and looking closer I can see where there was supposed to be an additional 7 but it didn't get stamped all the way, just the top part.

So it is a EJN-757

barrel does look micro groove and I remember when I originally picked it up in the store I initially thought the barrel was shot out.

Based off it's styling and other's I've seen I always kind of guessed it was from the 50s. It also came with a 2 piece scope bases, and a hawthorne 4x scope that had a rail along the bottom of the scope that the bases clamped onto vs the more common rings I'm used to.

I actually had to kind of hybridize the mounts I'm using now. I had some Warne 2 piece mauser bases but the screw holes didn't line up. So I tried a Leupold 1 piece base and the screw holes lined up, perfect... then the screws didn't fit. Just to try it I figured out the Warne screws fit.... So it has a Leupold base with Warne screws.