Western Field 550 / Mossberg 500 trigger swap.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I think it is a Mossberg 500A, and one would need a trigger group for that model. Those are older guns, and there was some changes in the parts, the trigger being one. If you could find a 500A, and try the trigger guard assembly out, before buying one, that would save you some money. I would have to look at the difference between an older 500A and what is made now to know.

The old trigger has a tab (safety connector) on the rear, that bends up, to meet the safety button. The new model does not have this tab, so the trigger guard assembly may not work, unless you get the right assembly.

Old Style Trigger:

259140.jpg

Copyright (C) Gun Parts Corp.

Numrich also mentions an old style trigger housing or trigger guard, too.

samsmix

I don't mean to drop in a new trigger, I mean to change the whole housing.

I have seen what you mean about the different style safety tab. I used my daughter's 20ga m500 as a reference and it had the newer style.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
What I mean is, you'll need an old model trigger group-trigger guard assembly (both are the same) to fit it I think, but I would try one from a 500A, if you don't have the old one, to make sure it will work. Numrich might have it, but they do not show it, for the 500A. The only place you might find the entire group is on eBay, a gun auction, or someplace that has a bunch of older Mossberg parts.

My guess is that your Western Field will have that older style trigger in the guard. I wouldn't be able to really tell, unless I looked inside the frame, to see how the safety was set up.

T. O'Heir

A Western Field 550 will correspond with the Mossberg M500 model it is. As in A, AB, B or E. A Western Field 550C is a Mossberg M500B.
Gunparts is showing M500 trigger housing assemblies as sold out. Goes by gauge and old and new style too.
Pretty major part to need replacing. You sure you need the whole thing?

samsmix

T. O'Heir,

Probably the whole thing is not shot, just one spring. The cost of having a 'smith put that spring in rivals the cost of a new unit though.
The gun in question is a 550ABD. Western Field used different suffixes I think.

samsmix

I may at that.

What happens if I drop a new model into the old gun? They are easier to come by. Is there an easy way to make it work?

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
samsmix, I do not know if you could change enough parts to make the safety work, without looking at the two assemblies. Plus, they may have changed something in the way the trigger guard fits the receiver. The best way to try it, would be to use a newer model, and try the fit. If you know someone that has one, see if they'll let you try the swap. My best guess is, that if the trigger guard fits the receiver, the safety wont line up and work.

samsmix

I see. Well, I'll just have to find one laying around, or locate a friend with an M500 and give it a whirl.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.