Well, this is different...

MLeake

... from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/man-woman-shot-when-891069.html

I guess there are two lessons to be learned here:

1) Even for pocket carry (maybe especially for pocket carry) a good holster, that prevents any outside force from manipulating the trigger, is a must; and

2) Avoid relationships that tend toward drama and physical violence. Don't be the person who starts that stuff, and don't put up with the ones that do start it.

Kreyzhorse

I'd guess it didn't happen exactly the way it was reported but I digress....

Anyway, to your point, a good holster that covers the trigger on any pocket gun is a must, crazed girlfriend or not.

tgreening

Just goes to show you, those little pocket guns just can,t get it done. Only enogh penetration for one thigh and a chest. If he would have had a nice fat .45 he might hav got the two bystanders behind her as well. :rolleyes:

AK103K

And just as a reminder, the Glock's trigger safety is only intended as a drop safety.
Apparently, they arent holster safe now either. :rolleyes:

Those type holsters are really just an accident waiting to happen anyway. If you want to know what it sounds like when a gun hits the floor when you sit down, thats the one you want. :)

Glocks trigger safety also works for things in the trigger guard, to a point. The Glock isnt as scary as youre always told either. Along with the loaded 17 in my holster, Ive been carrying a couple of different "unloaded" Glocks around, pretty much every minute Im home (I have a 17 just stuck in my pants "appendix" style as I type) for over a year now. Stuck in my waistband, pockets, even picking them up off the workbench/table by the trigger itself. I have yet to find the trigger dropped on any of them, unless they were intentionally pulled.

Manco

AK103K said:
And just as a reminder, the Glock's trigger safety is only intended as a drop safety.

Apparently, they arent holster safe now either. :rolleyes:

By the way, no slight was intended against Glocks (at least by me). My M&P is even less "holster safe" if anything, but I don't have a problem with that. Obviously holsters are supposed to protect against trigger manipulation, not pull the trigger themselves because they got all mushy. :eek:

AK103K said:
Those type holsters are really just an accident waiting to happen anyway. If you want to know what it sounds like when a gun hits the floor when you sit down, thats the one you want.

It's a good thing that the trigger safety is a drop safety, then. ;)

AK103K said:
Glocks trigger safety also works for things in the trigger guard, to a point.

That's only incidental, though--it was never designed as a snag safety nor intended to be relied upon as such. My reminder was for those who believe that it is a snag safety (a rather popular belief from what I've seen, as they don't understand its true purpose), and may therefore be lulled somewhat into complacency as a result.

AK103K said:
The Glock isnt as scary as youre always told either.

It won't fire as long as the trigger isn't pulled, which is good enough for me.

AK103K said:
Along with the loaded 17 in my holster, Ive been carrying a couple of different "unloaded" Glocks around, pretty much every minute Im home (I have a 17 just stuck in my pants "appendix" style as I type) for over a year now. Stuck in my waistband, pockets, even picking them up off the workbench/table by the trigger itself. I have yet to find the trigger dropped on any of them, unless they were intentionally pulled.

That's comforting, but I'd still say that it would be most prudent to keep unholstered pistols carried in the waistband, pockets, and such unloaded as you quite sensibly have been doing. ;)

AK103K

Actually, Ive carried my one 26 quite a bit, "loaded", and just stuck in my waistband, without issue.

The whole point of that little "test" above, was to prove one way or another whether or not the "hand wringer's" of internet are right, and I should be scared. So far, Glocks dont appear to be any scarier than anything else. :)

Yung.gunr

Kinda frustrating

So I understand that he was negligent in the way he was carrying, but she was attacking him. Not sure why the charges would be pressed. Sounds to me like his gun protected him without him having to do anything...so to speak. Anywhoo I'm no liar...um I mean lawyer. Just my $0.02.

MLeake

They didn't say what charges are pending...

... so it's hard to have an opinion as to whether there should be any.

For instance, we don't know if he had a concealed permit. If the event happened inside the house, that shouldn't be a factor. He may have intended to carry outside the home, but we don't know that he did. (And he may have had a permit.)

We also don't know if he falls into a category that would prohibit him from possessing a firearm, period (EG felon).

We don't know if there was a history of domestic violence on his part, which might bias police and prosecutors into going forward with whatever charges they could fit.

If the incident occurred as described, and the guy wasn't violating possession or carry laws, then I'd have a hard time seeing charges pressed; but, like I said, there's not enough information with which to form an opinion, yet.

Yung.gunr

I guess I am thinking about in AZ where you don't have to have a CCW. However it does say charges are pending. It is at the end of the second to the last paragraph. I would copy and paste but it's not letting me right now.