well the .223 vs. 7.62x39 question is answered, for me at least

bigghoss

so I got a bonus recently and was wanting to get a compact semi-auto carbine without a pistol grip to keep the profile nice and trim. Basically In NE Oregon where I like to play we have plenty of cougars and black bears along with budding entrepreneurs of the recreational pharmaceutical variety. I was leaning towards a saiga in 7.62x39 but was also thinking about a .223. well I went out to find a saiga and at a super great gunshop across the stateline they had a .223 saiga for $450. eh I was hoping to find one for less but after some research realized I just ain't gonna do much better than that in my area. well a few spots down was a .308 16" saiga for only $470. My only hangup was it's heavier than I was looking for and .308 is more expensive and I didn't have any .308's yet(both a plus AND minus as I've wanted to get something in the caliber) well I mulled it over for a bit since the clerk was busy with several other customers and decided to buy it since I knew a .308 was really the best choice for my neck of the woods (****** off momma or big bull blackie would probably not notice the smaller rounds) bought a few boxes of brown bear ammo and though it shot high it seemed very consistent(didn't actually have targets. just shot at random stuff at the range) after I got it home I took the 3 point sling off my AR and put it on this and fits and works pretty good.

16744_219369995218_673145218_4613206_6791424_n.jpg

zxd9

.308 is a good round. A bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. More knock down power for all types of critters. Enjoy.

sdj

How is the Saiga's recoil in the .308? I've had my eye on the same rifle, but in a .223 (plinker & trainer).

Cheers.

bigghoss

recoil isn't bad but you'll be feeling it after 40 rounds. even then it wasn't painful to shoot. there's no recoil pad so adding a slip on pad is defiantly something to consider.

I can't imagine the .223 being very punishing even with high volume shooting

elkman06

The tapco stock set up w/ pad would be a good choice. I have heard the .308 is a little sharp on the shoulder. My .223 isn't bad. The stock makes it a lot more handy though.
elkman06

Trigger Time

So the .223 Vs. 7.62 x 39 debate has been solved by the 7.62 x 51! Who would have guessed? Take that 7.62 x 54 and 7.62 x 54R!

bamaranger

You got a buy!

Round here, the short Saiga in .308 is bringing $800 bucks. Have wanted one for a while, but they are scalping all firearms in my area,..and folks are buying.

inaweofschon

Which state line? The close one to the north or the one to the east? Certainly not the one to the south!:eek:

If you went east (toward me) which gun shop are you referrring to?

That thing looks like fun!

Trigger Time

KMAR40

7.62 x 54 is a 30-06. It is also the Mosin-Nagant chambering, thus the 'R'. I really just wanted to see how many 'x's I could type into the public server I am using.

bigghoss

I got it in WA in the tri-cities(I think kenniwick) at a sweet gunshop called "hole in the wall" they usually have decent deals in there, normally nothing to write home about but far from a ripoff.

and yes .30-06=7.62x63 and I do have 7.62x54r and the good 'ol '06. both great

the capacity is 8 rounds but the mag can be modified to take 10 and surefire makes 10, 15, 20, and 25 round mags. to be 922r compliant you need to switch out one list part(like the handguard) and then the mags count as 3 us parts so you're go to go

Trigger Time

My face is red, but now my brain is a little bigger. After posting I thought to myself 'seems like more than 3mm difference between .308 and 30-06'.

bigghoss

How does it compare, overall length and weight wise, to an M1 Garand?

beats me I don't own a garand. I think it's shorter and it's lighter. I'd like a garand. if you send me one I'll be more than happy to do a thorough side-by-side comparison and do an extensive write up about them.:D