Well, that didn't work out as planned....

std7mag

PA archery starts Oct. 5th. We are allowed to set up tree stands on gamelands 2 weeks prior to season (this past Sat.)
One place i was planning to set one up has been clearcut within the past 2 weeks. Iincluding the tree i was going to sit in. :rolleyes:
At least the crew moved my camera to another tree & i was able to retrieve it. (Awfully nice of them actually)
Now to search for a different spot with very limited time. Yayyyy.

buck460XVR

Coupla decades ago, my younger brother set out a treestand on public land a week before season. Showed up in the dark on opening day to a clearcut. Like in your instance, the loggers placed his stand on the stump of the tree it was in. He sat on the stump and shot his deer. as it came down the trail he intended to watch from the treestand.

From my experience......Coupla years down the road and that clearcut will be a hotspot.

taylorce1

Yep, burn scars out west become a hot spot for deer. For several years after the burn there is a lot more for the deer and other game to feed on. If you were seeing deer there, set up a ground blind and be there waiting for your deer.

kenny53

I am glad your stuff was still there. You must have some great pictures of guys working or loafing. Please post pictures if you can..

Doyle

You must have some great pictures of guys working or loafing.

Don't know about loggers up in PA but down here, they are seriously hard working guys. Most of the logging here is totally by machine with no chainsaw action. Feller/buncher cuts the tree, skidder drags it up to a loading deck, processor strips off limbs and cuts to trailer-length, and a loader grabs the logs and loads them onto the trailer.