Well, since it looks like I won't be able to rent one...(Walther P99)

St_Genesius

I'd like to hear every bad experience any of you have had with the Walther P99. Talk me out of it!

And if you can't do that, at least reccomend whether I should consider the 9mm or .40 model. I'm not buying it as protection, only for fun on the range, so keep that in mind.

RKCheung

You know you want it, so just get it.

Personally, I prefer the 9mm to the .40. I've shot them side by side and I thought the 9mm had a slight edge in accuarcy. Could be just me though.

Last edited:

St_Genesius

Well, you're no help. :)

Yeah, I probably will get it, but I'm hesitant, as it will be the first handgun I've purchased. I was raised with long guns (there's no bette rmarkmanship training than picking squirrels out of tress with a single-shot .22) and have had some experience with my brother's Glock and Beretta 9mms. Part of me wants to start with a .22 pistol, but another part of me (the part that has had no trouble handling my brother's guns) feels that I would just be wasting money on a smaller gun when what I want is a P99...unless someone can convince me that they aren't worth a purchase.

venom600

I bought a P99 .40 as my first handgun and I don't regret it for a second. It's a GREAT gun!!

Funny, your shooting background sounds almost identical to mine. I grew up shooting squirrels and chipmunks out of trees with my little single-shot Ithaca .22. And you're right, it was great training. I can pick up almost any open-sight rifle and be pretty damn accurate.

I bought my P99 for defense, though, which is why I went with .40. When I buy my next P99 :D ..... I'll probably get the 9mm and use it at the range. If you only want it as a fun range gun, 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 .

--Ben

Airwolf

P99 Military in .40 (also my first handgun).

Had problems with it the first couple of times out until I realized that the medium backstrap was allowing too much movement of the gun during firing (Doh!) Switched to the large one and things started looking a lot better on the target. Easy to take down and between the Tennifer coated slide and the polymer frame, it's a breeze to keep looking and working perfectly.

I added Meprolight night sights and picked up a couple of mags from fourfourmag.com. Oh, I did launch (and lose) the pin and spring that hold the rear sight when switching to the Mep's. Walther (S&W) sent out replacements for free in a couple of days.

I would perhaps recommend the 9mm if this is your first handgun or a range plinker. I got the .40 because it was intended for SD. It's a bit "snappy" given the size and weight. The 9mm would be a bit more pleasant at the range.

PS. There's also the "cool" factor to figure in as well. It's just a neat looking gun (IMHO) :D

St_Genesius

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I've heard all about the superior stopping power of the .40 cartridge, but it doesn't take much whallop to stop a paper target. And on my grad student budget, cheaper ammo is a big plus.

And yeah, I'm still a pretty fair shot with an open-sighted rifle (not bad with a shotgun either) though I never did get comfortable with using scopes. I never went after chipmunks though. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a chipmunk until I moved "up north" to Memphis.

BucksDC

Buy It.

Walther P99 is a great "fun" gun. Very accurate. Very cool. Good feel. You can't go wrong. Buy the nine and get 40cal 10 rnd mags for it. They will hold and feed 14rnds of 9mm. For a self defense gun, my Walther would never be my first choice, not even second or third. Just my opinion but it doesn't appeal to me as a carry gun or personal protection gun. But, if you like the look and feel, you WILL be pleased with it for the range.
Good Luck

St_Genesius

Modified: Thanks. I think I will try to get the 9mm version for just that reason.

Airwolf: re: the cool factor. Don't think that hasn't occured to me. :) It's part of what drew me to that model over the other polymer pistols out there, though I have to admit a fondness for the aesthetics of the H&Ks as well. But they're in another price-range entirely.

St_Genesius

Bucks, thanks for the tip on the magazine trick. That never would have occured to me.

Are there any particular loads that have been successful for you guys? Does the P99 prefer higher velocity ammo or is it satisfied with more pedestrian fare?

St_Genesius

Oh, I see now that there's a thread devoted to P99 ammo. Thanks for bumping that to the top.

If anyone else has anythign to say about the P99, I'd love to hear it. I'm thinking of going to the store today. I'm not 100% clear on AZ law, so I don't know if I'll be coming home with my pistol today or not, though. I know I have to pass a background check (not a problem), but I don't know it it's instant or if it takes a few days. And while I've seen no mention of any waiting periods for this state, perhaps there is one.

BREN TEN

Really can't talk you out of getting a p99 i have on in 9mm great gun only thing i can say is glock or hk. But for me it's the p99 9mm but each it's own. BY THE WAY I have 4000rds through my p99 without one FTF.