Well, I bit...

Smokey Joe

Having read several articles on the new Hornady cartridge, 6.5 Creedmoor, and having read with interest several other articles praising the new Ruger Precision Rifle, and having wandered into a LGS that claimed to be able to get one for me, I went and ordered an RPR in 6.5 CM. Am waiting with bated breath for its delivery. BTW, the LGS took 'way less than the MSRP for the rifle. Now I just am hoping that Ruger has put on a 3rd shift making the darn things, so's I get one before Heck freezes over.

Any comments on 6.5 CM or on the RPR? Has anyone actually fired one of these (supposedly) awesome rifles???

ms6852

I have been toying with buying one in 243, but am also considering customizing one of my old rifles. Congratulations on your purchase.

oldscot3

I can't speak specifically to the RPR but I do have a Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's a fine shooter. I really like the cartridge and Ruger's barrel quality seems to be top notch these days. I'm guessing you're going to be happy.

Smokey Joe

Thanks...

for the prompt replies--I looked at several of those recommended videos--Looks like (a) I'll have to practice more, at distance, and (b) the 6.5 CM is the way to go, over both .243 Win and .308 Win. The further away the target is, the greater is the advantage to the 6.5 CM.

Kingair001

Kingair001, that's my next rifle & caliber
Never owned a rifle before
Went to Camp Pendleton and was lost . . .
4 weeks later I bought the LRP [emoji6]
Just shot it in F-Class at 29 Palms - 1000 yards
Really fun and the rifle performs amazingly
Best score was 183 (first Stage was 169) for a first time shooter with 3 X's using Hornady A-Max 140 grain factory ammo
End of this month shooting a match at Camp Pendleton - 600 yards.

Last edited:

cw308

Kingair001, Long Range right out of the gate. Nice, with the perfect rifle. Never owned a rifle before? Did I read that right? And went right into competition. That's HARD CORE. Wish You & your rifle the best. Happy & Healthy New Year. Chris

Kingair001

Yes never owned a rifle
Last time I shot one was about 30 years ago in the Belgium Army
We used the FAL in those days
Checked YouTube and installed my scope after lapping
Fired 24 rounds in total for zeroing and shooting some steel at 300 yards at Apple Valley Gun Club
And the next weekend I was shooting an F-Class at 29 Palms
My wife and friends where joking that I would be last for sure
But I wasn't ;-)

Catfish

Always remember that the gun writers make their living selling their copy. The 6.5 Creedmore is just another round that fires a 6.5 bullet. It is very close to the 260 Rem. in velocity. Faster than the 6.5 Sweed, but slower that the 264 Win. or 6.5-284. As for accuracy, the rifle has far more to do with that than the round does. Don`t get me wrong, I have nothing against the round, heck I like them all, and a friend of mine shot a 3 shot group of .369 at 200 yards with his, and he is still working on a load for it, but he is not shooting a $ 300 rifle with iron sights either.

Kingair001

@Catfish
If this barrel I'd a done deal I might rebarrel in 6.5-284
Only problem is that - at least what I have been reading - it last for 800 to 1000 rounds due to the higher speed of the round

cw308

Kingair001, are you shooting match ammo or reloading your own home brew. Either way HARD CORE keep up the good work

Kingair001

Kingair001, are you shooting match ammo or reloading your own home brew. Either way HARD CORE keep up the good work
I used Hornady A-Max 140 grain
But that's over and out
From now on I will be using the Hornady ELD Match factory ammo
Got 10 boxes of A-Max 120 grain left (send instead of 140 grain) that I will use this month at Camp Pendleton at 600 yards
And than I need to make a decision . . . :
I need to use the ELD M 140 grain for long range anyways so :
Use the ELD M 120 grain for mid range (300 to 600 yards) ?
Or just use the 140 grain all the time ?

hooligan1

I'm having a 6.5 creedmore built on a Turkish Mauser, that I installed a PTG 3 position wing safety shroud, and a trigger from a Mark X Interacts mauser, that breaks super nice at barely 3 lbs.
It's getting bolt handle turned down, drilled and tapped for scope mount, and a 24" 1:8" twist Douglas Premium XX barrel.
I will test 140 grain amax commercial ammo, until I have enough brass to test 3-4 better bullets..
I think the creedmore has better barrel life than most 6.5's, I'm hoping to hunt deer, antelope, coyotes, hogs and other critters with it.

Kingair001

Here is my target from zeroing the Savage 12 (at 100 yards but used a 200 yards target - was all I got . . . ;-)
2 high in the 7 ring
2 in the 9 ring
The rest in the 10 and X ring
And this for a first time rifle shooter !

And this is what my little daughter gave me for Christmas
My first rifle target framed
Sweet . . . isn't it ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20151225_111231 copy.jpg
    IMG_20151225_111231 copy.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 32

Smokey Joe

Wow!

Kingair, you make me jealous! I've been shooting rifle and pistol, casually, hunting, and competition, for about 50 years. So far I've made ONE target that'll beat that one.

Hopefully w/the new RPR once I get it broken in, can do more like that...