Weird rifle

warbirdlover

On one of the tv canned hunts one of the guys was using some strange bolt action with a big fat thing on the barrel in front of the end of the stock. What the h.....???????? :confused:

youngunz4life

warbird, are you talking about the 22 rifle that guy had on "Wild Justice" a couple of nights ago? I was watching that too; fish&game thought he was a poacher and maybe it was a silencer at first. They said it was one of the strangest weapons they'd ever seen, but it checked out and they had to let him go. I think he said he sawed the barrel too beforehand, but I couldn't remember why. Seems like a good new show too. ch 186 on dish satellite (NATGEOTV -nationalgeographic tv). anyways, this thread reminded me of that but you mightve meant something else

Jim243

If it was the Limbsaver it was a harmonic damper. It's a hard rubber washer that slips on the front of the barrel and is slid back to the stock and adjusted forward and back to take up barrel wip and improve accuracy. Or so that is what it was designed to do. Never tried it.

Jim

warbirdlover

Not that show youngunz. It was a high powered rifle and the thingy was the length of the barrel (from the stock to the crown) and black. It did look rubbery. Not the LimbSaver deal. The bolt action was not familiar either.

The stock was a black synthetic also.

ripnbst

Younggunz,

I saw that show "Wild Justice" too and I don't think its what he is referring to. What that guy did was cut his barrel because it was apparently damaged/bent. He cut it to the point before the damage and then attached what looked like just a tube to make it legal in California. Cali state law regulates barrel length minimums.

youngunz4life

wild justice is on in 11minutes at 10est. the warden is going after some poachers and another illegal hunter. I'm gonna check it out again on dish 186. thank you, yes I remember he sawed the barrel to make it fit CA regulations

warbirdlover

This gun was either a custom job or made by someone that way. It didn't look "modified". I think they were hunting Red Stag in New Zealand but not sure.

Scorch

If they were in New Zealand, the bulgy thingy on the barrel was a sonic suppressor. Required under the law. Their industrial safety laws say that exposure to gunfire will make guides lose their hearing, so they require suppressors to keep sound levels below 90 dB. Pretty much the same in England, Scotland, and several African countries.

sc2136

if yall happen to be talking about the episode entitled "thrill killer" they were in california, hence the patch on the dnr officer's arm. That guy HAD to be spotlighting! i know they didnt have proof but he was in a field at night shining a light with a .22 that had a laser and an OBVIOUS noise supressor. I did however like his BS story about having to cut the barrel off because it was bent and replacing it with what he said was, "just a metal tube". i know yall probably didnt get that far into it, but i just saw it and couldnt believe the officer bought it. plus if he was shooting rats at the house, whats it doin in his truck?

sc2136

i just grazed it earlier, but now that i looked back at the thread the new zealand thing was a different topic. my mistake. guess i would do well to pay better attention ha

youngunz4life

it definately looked like a noise supressor. his story sent them in the direction of checking the legality of the firearm- he cut the barrel to make it the legal CA length he said. I think what helped him the most was he sort of just acted shocked they were there and they bought into that this guy was just coincidentally run up upon. What got me was the fact that no officer ever asked him if he had any other weapons in the vehicle(at least not on camera). He answered their question(and produced a rifle), but they never asked him if he had any other weapons.

ps- thanx SC, I just noticed its on right now. I think I have already seen this episode though. watch this after commercial. They hear gunshots and say they're in a bad area, but they stay there for like forever to give a marijuana and booze ticket to kids

sc2136

ive never really watched this show but yeah im watching the wildlife area thing right now. there are shots ringing out on game management land and theyre giving kids tickets, dont get me wrong, they had alot of pot but here in south carolina they would have gone after the shooter"s" or at least called back up (which they may have done off camera). but they also would have busted my a** for poss. of alch. under :) guess CA doesnt have a ridiculous "zero tolerance" policy like we do since they didnt issue underage tickets and their ages ranged from 16 to 20 and apparently there are a good number of people there who do some boneheaded **** on state land.

Last edited:

sc2136

i knew it was 18 barrel 26 overall for shotguns. I didnt know the same went for rifles but sure enough it is. i know they have to include provisions for criminal activity, but i cant imagine why anyone would shorten a rifle? wouldnt it be easier to put a stock on a pistol?

Last edited: