Weird rattle on a stainless GP 100 cylinder

2DaMtns

I was looking at a 6" stainless GP100 today at a local shop. It was used but seemed to be in good shape. I was about to buy it, and something made me spin the cylinder while it was open. When I did, there was a weird rattle as the cylinder rotated. My blued model doesn't do it, and I handled another used blued model they had in the store and it didn't do it either. I asked if they would come down on the price since the guy behind the counter witnessed it, but he said no, so I left it there. There was no endshake or other abnormalities I could find, but I didn't trust it. Any idea if it's serious? I might go back and get it if it's not, cause it was a decent price.

Dfariswheel

Ruger double action revolvers have a unique design non-rotating ejector rod.
Typically they tend to rattle, some worse than others.
This tends for some reason to be worse on the smaller SP-101 models.

This is simply the nature of the design. Occasionally a little grease can reduce the rattle.

SDiver40

That would be the transfer bar you hear. My SP101 .357 has a slight rattle. The LCR you can hear a lot better because it is aluminum.

GP100man

2 places for rattles on the gp 100 & both have been mentioned , if oiled litely it be lessened on the ejector but the transfer bar there`s no hope !!:D

2DaMtns

I didn't slam it shut or anything. I opened the cylinder and spun it with my hand and it rattled. I was not abusing it or anything, just checking it over. Tell me, how was what I did wrong?

IDK if you did anything wrong or not. I know most people don't like it if you spin the cylinder when it is in the gun, which I am pretty sure isn't possible on a GP100 because it has ?positive lock?. When the cylinder is flipped out maybe you can. IDK. I just limit my spinning to dry-firing as fast as I can.

gwnorth

2DaMtns - nothing wrong with spinning the cylinder when it is open (swung out), won't hurt a dang thing. It's also a useful way on a used revolver to make sure that it spins true and does not wobble or oscillate about it's axis, which would be a sign to walk away from the purchase.

Of course, never flick it closed or while spinning (puts undo stress on the crane, as well as the cylinder locking pins at the rear and front, on a GP100).

Both my GP100's and both my service six rattle a tiny bit. The transfer bar will rattle a bit, and on the GP100's the ejector rod, since it is not rigidly mounted as on a revolver which used the ejector rod as part of the cylinder lockup (eg. as on a Service Six).

MoBart

You didn' do anything wrong he was pprobably thinking you slipped the hammer back and spun it cowboy movie style. That would aggrivate most shop owners and emploeeys lol

2DaMtns

Ah, I see. I tried to be as clear as I could in the OP so people would understand when it was rattling and what was causing it. And then I figured he thought I spun it and slammed it shut like all the pros do in the movies. Just trying to clarify and see if I was doing anything wrong. I'm not exactly a rookie, but I sure don't know everything either, so I just wanted to make sure.