Weird Jam in my Modified Marlin Guide gun

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I had an odd jam today. I was shooting and a 45-70 round got jammed about halfway out of the tube and stopped the action up. I was able to pull the round out through the ejection port with the pliers on my leatherman. Once I extracted the round I then noticed the rounds were loose in the tube. I tipped the gun forward and I heard the spring pop and everything went back to normal.

I had my mag tube extended. I never recall having this malfunction before. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I shot about 25 rounds after and could not repeat it.

Last edited:

bufordtjustice

Most likely, there is a burr, seam, piece of debris, etc. in the tube that caused a point the spring could hang up on. Take the tube off, clean it inspect it and all components and try again. That would be my advice.

ogree

sounds like there might have been a burr at the joint where the mag was extended, might have caught the follower just right and made it hang up.

ogree

Pull the spring & follower out, then using a wood dowel slowly run it down the tube to see if you can feel any sharp edges or mis-alignment where the joint is, it helps if the dowel has a nice flat face that has not been chamfered.

If it is just a burr, then wrap some 400 grit paper around the wood and lightly run it back and forth in that area of the magazine.

If the alignment is out too far and causing the problem, then take it to the individual that lengthened it and ask if he can take care of the problem.