Weird Guns in Production

Glenn E. Meyer

By pointless, do you mean a gun that is proposed for self-defense but is not optimal? Or very far from optimal.

About the shotguns, I agree they look silly. However, one might ask if they are the only option in a gun banning state? Yeah a pump would probably be better. I note Clint Smith has put out videos on double barrel self-defense.

I guess my NAA Mini revolver in 22S isn't practical for most but it's a quite deep cover tertiary bug. People have used them successfully.

Back to the shotgun, at the NTI we did a stage where you got a coach gun. You were draped in a smock (to duplicate sleeping naked). You got a box of shells that were mixed bird and slugs. You had to clear through a house with multiple targets (yes, you shouldn't clear but this is an exercise).

So you had to maneuver around with the gun and shells. Quite an exercise. One forgets that when you reload the gun the safety comes back on. We were supposed to tell the difference between bird and slugs for longer shots but I just loaded whatever I grabbed and it knocked down the three D targets. Oops, fired two shots and there's another 3D popping out next to me. Butt stroked it.

Yeah, I'd prefer something else than a double barrel.

g.willikers

At least they didn't make them with just a pistol grip.
Guess anything with a picatinny rail can be called "tactical."
On the other hand, the real tactical part is the person behind the gun.

buck460XVR

I always thought they'd make great turkey hunting guns if they had adjustable chokes instead of just the Improved cylinder.

I grew up shooting SXS doubles. Still use them pretty much exclusively. Quicker back up shot than any pump, no jamming and fast and easy reloads. You also have the option to have two different loads in the gun at once, with double triggers, you have an instant selection of either. As a SD/HD gun you could run #5s in one barrel for close range and buckshot in the other. There's a lot to be said for doubles.

gyvel

I seem to remember Mossberg or somebody making a lever action "tactical" rifle that was just plain ridiculous.

And, you can add to the list (IMO) the Chiappa Rhino. the curved Taurus, and a few others.

Rembrandt

That Ruger Charger - why a 10/22 pistol?

I'll take a stab at answering that. Because there are very few high capacity (25-to-50rd) .22 pistols, and its my grandkids favorite plinker. Nice for small kids that have trouble lifting and shouldering a rifle.

013_zpsmybapjq9.jpg

If you want to talk about weird guns.....how about the Mossberg "Chainsaw"?

zmb_chainsaw_f.jpg

gyvel

If you want to talk about weird guns.....how about the Mossberg "Chainsaw"?

Don't laugh, but if that forward handle were mounted 90 degrees to the left, it would be a very practical addition. By allowing the left hand to grip it in a natural upright position, it would avoid any unnatural twist of the left forearm and, in addition, would act as kind of a forward handgrip while firing. Try it with your imaginary shotgun.

In fact, I could really see something like that on a Winchester 97 or 12, or an Ithaca 37.:D

bigmatt

gyvel said:
I seem to remember Mossberg or somebody making a lever action "tactical" rifle that was just plain ridiculous.

This was the first thought I had of when looking at the thread title. The Mossberg 464 SPX:

41022-catalog.jpg

Sevens

How about the single action revolver builder that apparently made some terrific hoglegs and gave up production of them... to make that silly .22LR Zip, little plastic device that mounts to the rail of an AR-15 and shoots rimfire?

That oughta fit this topic.

natman

Mossberg makes a good inexpensive pump shotgun, but their marketing department has no shame at all:

And here's a pic of the double barreled tactical shotgun:

Glenn E. Meyer

Any pointless gun will have defenders.

The tactical lever actions were for folks who were in AWB states but wanted lights and sights. Also, for those who thought it would look better in court.

Ok - I'll buy the Charger as a fun gun for kids.

if that forward handle were mounted 90 degrees to the left
It looks to me like that handle can be gripped left, right, or top. I haven't handled one though. It seems like the top being so far off the bore line would pull it way off target when pumping.

I love all the odd ones.

natman

41022-catalog.jpg

The tactical lever actions were for folks who were in AWB states but wanted lights and sights. Also, for those who thought it would look better in court.

I don't care where you take it, that gun is not going to look any better. ;)

dakota.potts

hqdefault.jpg

The Heizer Pocket AR, a single shot derringer chambered in .223 with what has to be a whole 1" of barrel. All the noise, flash, and concussion of a hand grenade going off in your face with all the velocity of a .22 magnum. Can't imagine firing one of those in a dark parking lot walking to my car. Both the robber and myself would probably have scorched retinas :D They also have a 7.62X39 model pictured above.

Although I have to admit, a 7.62x39 revolver would have my attention for sure, with the ability to shoot cheap ammo out of it.

Andy Blozinski

The double barrel pump shotgun has got to be a weird and less than practical weapon. Fire, fire, pump three step sequence. How many people in a panic situation are going to have that presence of mind without lots of training and practice to make it mindless?

rickyrick

The tactical lever action could give you and the game warden something to talk about besides what you were doing hunting at night lol