weird antigun behavior

ckurts

Well, it finally happened to me. I have posted rather proudly several times how nice it is to work around gunowners, hunters, CCW holders, etc. Found at least one exception, and boy, what an exception.
I approached our administrative services supervisor with a question about receiving personal packages at work (FYI, admin services is also part of HR here). She said, sure, as long as the privelege wasn't abused, packages weren't too big, etc. I made the mistake of telling her it would be ammunition. You'd a thought I grew fangs, claws, horns, and forked tail. She visibly shrank away from me and in a squeeky voice filled with horror said "A GUN!!!???". (Not "for a gun", I'm positive). I thought she was going to have a hemorrhage or something. I calmly told her no, just ammunition, and gave her the reasons why being able to accept a delivery at work would be more convenient. I told her I'd knew the rules and would never bring a firearm into the office, but at this point she interrupted me and started giving me book, chapter and verse on company gun policy. She then hemmed and hawed about how the policy could be extended to ammunition, and she was getting redder and redder in the face, her eyes were getting glassy, and by that time I was just trying to calm her down and get out of there. I'm here to tell you, I was very surprised by her behavior- we'd had a lot of dealings before and she was always nice and friendly, but businesslike, and we'd even had a few non-work-related conversations.
Now, most folks here know I shoot a lot and hunt when I get the chance, that I'm a veteran, etc. I'm also just another middle-age fatboy that fixes people's software when it breaks so I'm just a little surprised at the severity of the reaction. A simple no would have sufficed. I'm probably on yet another sh__ list now.

Mike in VA

What can I say? A little discretion goes a long way, and there's a lot to be said for keeping your business your business. Your work associates are NOT your friends, they are merely co-workers. You're a big boy, you don't need their approval for your lifestyle choices, don't seek it.

I don't mean to be snippy, but given today's climate of PC/BS, if you don't want it to be an issue, don't make it an issue. At this point, I'd just do what you need to do and hope this woman doesn't make an issue of it. She doesn't make policy, but can she make enough noise to get it changed? Can you neutralize her influence with those who count?? is it worth it?
Good luck, M2

Grayfox

ckurts,
When dealing with higher authorities at work, an old saying comes to mind:
"Its easier to beg forgivness, than ask permission."

I remember the time when I had a dozen cases of rifle ammo shipped to me at work. Just a couple of days before, I got my chief to sign off on a purchase order for pistol and revovler ammo. So, he sees these crates stacked by our safe and asks a coworker if our ammo came in. My coworker, who had also ordered some rifle ammo told him, with a big sh-t eating grin, yes. Our chief goes away happy & never caught on.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Jeff Thomas

I'm with Grayfox and Mike on this one. Often, the less they know, the better. Having said this, I often ignore my own advice. ;)

Sorry to hear she went wacko, ckurts. Just another indicator of the times. Irrational behavior surrounds us ...

ckurts

Mike/Va, slightly harsh but wise words and very well taken. The individual referred to doesn't have a lot of stroke (she's in HR, but she's admin services supervisor- mail room, furniture moves). Me being in Information Technology, I use her group's services and that's about it. This office has about 200 people, mostly progun, the company owns its own game ranch, and our division veep/head honcho is an avid deer and birdhunter, I don't forsee repercussions.

I'm still gonna make sure of my backstop before I shoot my mouth off next, though.

Paul Revere

Many times people like her have absolutely nothing to do. Then you come along with your innocent question about receiving deliveries. About "gggg guns??"...Wham!

Kind of sounds like what politicians do every day of their elected careers. Nothing.

ckurts

Paul Revere, that's the funny part about it. She's good at what she does and isn't afraid to get in there and help her folks out. I believe I understand the anti's a little better. It's a knee-jerk reaction, they've either brainwashed themselves or have been brainwashed by others and they're thinking with their spinal cords.

CMOS, I hear you...

James K

Member In Memoriam
Most anti-gun behavior is irrational. People have been trained to treat firearms as bad products, and any one who owns them as irredemibly evil. She probably now thinks of you as a devil incarnate who is going to go berserk and kill everyone in the company. After all, why else would you want to have guns and "bullets"?

As a victim of arachnophobia, I think she probably felt as I would have had you asked me to accept a big box of tarantulas.

Possibly some discretion would have avoided the problem. A little conversation before asking could have either shown her that you were no threat and your request reasonable, or shown you that she would react as she did. Unfortunately, people software is not as predictable as computer software.

Jim

Jeff Thomas

You know, on second thought, considering the company's apparent perspective, perhaps this is a golden opportunity.

Let's brainstorm with ckurts about some fun barbs for her. Such as 'do you know how I can get on the roof?' ... or perhaps 'do you know anyone who can sharpen a knife for me?' ... and then there's 'did you hear that?' ... ;) It would be so tempting ...

Paladin

As stated previously many of those who make up the opposing camp suffer from an irrational phobia conerning firearms. And whilst Jeff displayed an excellent sense of humor perhaps keeping a "low profile" on the subject for a bit may be the best initial action. Most people who fall into his co-worker's catagory are simply reacting to the all-too-human "fear of the unknown". Simply put , they do not know squat about firearms save from what they pick up from the media elite (and we all can testify to personal heartburn when those stories come up).
Might it be more useful to assure this individual that you meant no harm in asking to have the ammunition delivered and assure her of your good intentions? Let it lay at that for awhile and see if at some future date you can take this person to a public range (your treat)to show her that you and others like you are not ogres? I only say this because to me we are in this battle for hearts and minds of our fellow citizens. That is the one sure way that we can ensure a continued bloodless future for the Second Amendment. My wife had friends that were rabidly anti-gun in the past. All it took was some reasoned logic and a trip to the range and suddenly they were not so sure of their beliefs. In fact, the NRA has ended up with a couple of more members using this tactic.
Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
I can relate, dude. I've been telling all my friends and neighbors about my new Ruger (I don't even have the damn thing yet, but I can't wait. ;) ) It's a freakin' MkI with a bull barrel and custom trigger, for crying out loud--not even an ugly black centerfire. They all act like I'm going to snap and kill everybody in the damn dorm . . . the ironic part is that now that I told them all about it, I'm not going to keep it here anyway 'cause the college doesn't allow 'em (I'd play dumb but I'm an RA.)
I'll give odds that the first time I show someone the gun with its bull barrel, the sheeple I show it to will nervously ask:
"Aren't silencers illegal?"
:(

But I aim to take a few shooting once I convince them that it won't shoot them in the head on its own . . .

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

ckurts

Jeff T., I'm laughin' out loud! I think discretion is the better part of humor in this case, however. I really think Paladin hit it on the head in his first paragraph. I'm going to let it rest for a while, as it seems to have blown over.

FYI, my wife works in education. Most of her friends' husbands hunt, but aren't real live gun people. I know to be careful around them. Mrs. ckurts loves to shoot, is a better shot than me, but she also knows not to go into things too deeply.

Gwinny, you're going to love that Ruger. I know 4 people that have them and do. Expect unbelievable out-of-the-box accuracy, it will spoil you if this is your first handgun.

Futo Inu

Explain to her that action conquers fear, and invite her shooting to overcome her fear (don't characterize it as irrational - yet). She might just say OK. If that doesn't work, let her have it; unless it would affect your job, in which case ignore her and write letters to the editor and congress critters.