Weighting a stock

Jeepmark2005

I have a Mossberg 590 SP and wanted to enhance it a little. I bought a ATI pistol grip full stock and am having my gunsmith mix lead shot with fiberglass resin and fill up the hollow of the stock to add weight and reduce recoil. He is installing a pvc pipe over the retaining bolt so that the stock can be removed and a side saddle will be attached to the right side of the stock to hold my slugs.

??? How much weight should I add to reduce recoil with out overdoing it? I was thinking between 2 - 4 pounds. Has anyone done this before ???

This shotgun will be fired more than carried. It is for on duty and home defense use. Not a duck gun. My department does ALOT of training and I want to get all the help I can keeping rounds on target. I will be pouring 00 buck and slugs thru it.

Hotbarrel

I weighted the stock of my Ithaca M-37 by pouring about a pound of #8 birdshot into the hole for the retaining bolt. I cut the base off a 12 gauge wad and used it to cap off the end and keep the shot packed tight. It worked well and was easy to change out. If you're getting a pipe installed over the bolt you might try it.

Jeepmark2005

Well this stock is hollow. The pvc pipe will be held in place with the lead shot/fiberglass-resin mix poured around it. Once that mix sets it will be permanant. The pvc pipe is just to provide a space to allow access to the reciever bolt. If I did not have the pvc pipe covering the bolt then the fiberglass-resin /lead shot mix would cover the bolt and make the stock a permanant part of the gun. This would be a problem because the way the stock is designed, it has to be removed for me to take off the trigger group for cleaning. I am a clean freak. After I shoot, I clean.

My real question is how much weight is optimal for controlling recoil? I want the gun to remain useful and manuverable. With the weight in the stock it should not affect my swing weight. I am thinking 4 pounds should really soak up recoil but still be managable. Suggestions ???

Jeepmark2005

Holy crap people, just get the liquid mercury recoil reducers.

Ha. Doesn't that take up space in the mag tube? This is kind of a project and is more fun. The ATI stock is inexpensive and lends to experimentation. I want to see what happens.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Lots of "Serious" shotguns weigh 8-9 lbs. Mine does go over that a hair, and recoil is quite mild with 9 pellet 00 loads. With R/R, even less.

Add a lb and see how it feels....

hoghunting

Before mixing shot with epoxy, why not try filling the stock with shot, replace the recoil pad, and try it at the range. If it doesn't work as you hope, you pour the shot out of the stock and try something else. With the epoxy mix, you are stuck with the results and only a new stock will allow a change.

Jeepmark2005

My gun smith finished the project. He said he was able to add 3 1/2 pounds to the stock. First chance I get , I will go try it out.

Do you think the addition of three and a half pounds will make a difference???

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Yes. Kick will be much less, but handling may leave a bit to be desired.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks...

Jeepmark2005

AWSOME ! Recoil is VERY mild. The gun smith test fired it and said that it felt like a .410 when he fired full strength 2 3/4 00 buck .The gun is heavy. But not unmanagable. And when I have the stock to my shoulder I don't notice the weight at all. I would recommend adding 3 pounds. I went three and a half and it was more than enough to make a HUGE difference. I fired 12 slugs and 10 - 00 buck . Nothing to it. For someone who carries the gun in a car or just keeps the gun at home for self defense I would highly recommend this. If you will be carrying the gun more than shooting it. You might want to skip this or go lighter. Overall - I think this is a GREAT modification.

revinkevin

could have also just got a knoxx stock. they make a tactical one with a pistol grip and a standard. from what i hear they are the best ani recoil stocks u can buy.

Jeepmark2005

I have seen alot of gimmicks and was not sure what to think about those. After I had already started this whole process I noticed that remington had a knoxx stock on their 870 P on their web site. If remington is advertising those on their police model top of the line shotguns, maybe they are not so bad. I have done all of this work to a pretty inexpensive stock so if I decide to try out a Knoxx stock it will not be too much of a loss.

Does anyone here have a Knoxx stock on their shotgun? What model? How well does it work?

9mmMike

Interesting thread.
Weight is your friend when taming recoil. I have a friend who shoots "service rifle" competitions and he has an AR that weighs a ton. That thing shoots like a .22 rimfire.
I'd rather add weight than a stock that moves.
Mike

webbee

Knoxx Rocks! They do everything their advertising says, in the field.
I usually put about a pound of lead in the synthetic stocks and fill them with the light expanding foam. That's usually sufficient for recoil reduction. I don't bother any more as the Knoxx stocks do everything and more in recoil reduction. They have the added advantage of light weight. Weight being somewhat important, the longer you have to carry your weapon.

Jeepmark2005

Grrrr. People were telling me about the Knoxx stock but I was not listening. After looking into it some I am curious. I am pleased with the recoil reduction I have achieved but if I could get the same thing in a lighter package that would be even better and then my wife could shoot it. She can't even pick up my shotgun. I get shakey with it if I hold it by the pistol grip out at arms length, not that I would shoot it that way. I saw the Knoxx stock on Remingtons web site advertised on the top of the line 870 Police model. If Remington trusts that stock then maybe there is something to it. All of this was of course observed AFTER I completed this project. I guess I will have to get the Knox stock and do a compairison. The 12Ga is an awsome tool. Take away the recoil and it is that much more effective. The weight of my stock does not bother me for shooting but I would not want to carry it much.

I would like to hear more about the Knoxx stock.

Daily Fred

I put a stock cuff with 5 rounds of buck shot on my 12 ga. Greatly improved the balance. No effect on recoil though - it slips a bit when the gun is fired.

Jeepmark2005

That is why I had my gun smith make a fiberglass resin / lead shot mix. It dried and hardens and becomes part of the stock. It does not move or shift. You just have to find the right amount of weight to be comfortable to carry and still be enough to tame recoil. The Knoxx stock has my attention. I AM very satisfied with the reduction in recoil. Much more comfortable to shoot and faster, more accurate follow up shots. The idea of having the same result in a light weight package is VERY attractive. My shotgun is not too heavy to use for a patrol car gun or home defense. I would not want to have to carry it around. It is a trade off.