Weigand "no drill" scope mount for Ruger Redhawk

mtnbkr

Anyone have any experience with this: http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Redhawk-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

I have a 5.5" Redhawk that isn't drilled/tapped or otherwise set up to accept a mount and I'd like to put a scope on at times.

Do any gunsmiths machine the scope mount dovetails into the barrel rib like the ones Ruger provides in the SS 7.5" Redhawk? Would there be enough space for a scope mounted to the 5.5" barrel in that manner?

Chris

Last edited:

Sam06

I have never used that model but it looks strong. Weigand mounts are very strong, I have them on a 629(That is tapped for a scope). A 5.5" Barrel will be kind of short to have scope on it. The end of the scope will be very close to the end of the barrel. You will have to take the sights, both F/R off but that's not too hard on a Redhawk. Notice it says for 6 and 7.5" revolvers not 5.5" You may be out of luck. I have heard of gunsmiths that will retro fit a Redhawk for the Ruger mounts but I don't think the 5.5" tube will be long enough again that's just my opinion.

Edit: my bad I did not read far enough down, they do make them for the 5.5. I still think it will be a little short though. Go for it.

Last edited:

mtnbkr

I saw that it mentioned a 6" barrel, but Ruger never made a Redhawk in 6" that I've seen. I think it was a "rounding error" on Weigand's part. ;)

I don't mind if I have to set the scope back a bit. I mainly shoot DA anyway, so access to the hammer isn't critical.

Chris

Smaug

I've got a similar one for my Mk. II Target model, that replaces the rear sight. It works great.

The only thing to worry about is whether the mounting screws will loosen up under magnum recoil. I've seen that setup posted here, and the owner seemed to be happy with it.

Another option would be to send it to Ruger to be re-barreled with a 7.5" barrel with the integral scope mounts. I bet they'd only charge $100 for the work. If your Redhawk is a blued model, that probably isn't an option. (don't know if they ever made the blued Redhawks in 7.5")

Jim March

The Ruger already has a "vertical screw" in the topstrap normally used for rear sight elevation. Once the whole rear sight is out including the elevation screw, the remaining threaded hole has a very good rep for holding up as a scope mount screw :).

Gun 4 Fun

I have seen the 7.5" Redhawk in blue, lots of times. In fact, I used to see so many at Williams Gunsight in MI, that for a while I thought they had quit making the stainless steel version. FWIW