Webley Scott .38SW

jlundy46

I am considering the purchase of a Webley Scott MKIII .38SW revolver. If any of you have one or have shot one, your view of this revolver would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John

links0311

The webley is a top break revolver right? My dad talks about those from time to time. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find one and how much are they running? thanks.

-Links

gordo b.

I have a couple, an early short barrel MK III from between the wars (1927) and a post war 'safety' commercial one from 1957. The .38S&W is pretty enemic, about like a .380 in total energy. Think 150 grains at 700fps. I like shooting 'cowboy' loads in mine as they are cheap and very mellow. Sure they prolly would be effective for self defense, but thats not what they are for. Ammo is a lot more expensive and harder to get than .38 special. A chinese police .38 Webley is prolly worth $300 or so in very godd condition- another $100 in excellent. Wartime finish ones are now about the same. The hammerless 'tanker' Enfield versions used to be much cheaper and less desireable, but now are starting to climb. My old Pocket model in excellent condition is worth close to $500-600. They are a niche gun. if it is your first gun get a model 10 S&W .38spl. for about the same price or less- a lot better gun and cartridge!
Whoops saw your signiture line!You'll like it!

Webleymkv

What you are likely referring to is a .38 caliber Webley MkIV (not to be confused with the earlier .455 caliber MkIV) It is basically a scaled down version of the .455 caliber MkVI that was the standard British sidearm during WWI. During WWII the British Military used the very similar Enfield No.2 MkI and the more common No.2 MkI*(a DAO version) as standard issue. However, as the war progressed and supplies ran short, Webley was contracted to supply their .38 caliber MkIV. This revolver is actually chambered for the .38/200 cartridge which is basically a .38 S&W loaded with a heavier bullet. The original load was a 200grn (hence the /200 in the cartridge designation) LRN @~600fps, this was later changed to a 178grn FMJ at slightly higher velocity. It is perfectly safe to use commercial .38S&W ammunition in these revolvers. The only ill effect is that they will more than likely shoot low due to the lighter 145grn bullet weight. here are a couple of links for more information.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg91-e.htm
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg92-e.htm

News Shooter

I can't add anything

to what the others have said. I love my little Singapore PD version.
But I don't shoot it much because of the cost of the ammo.

jlundy46

Thanks guys. I checked again and it is a MKIV. I have seen several on the web from around $600 to $400. I am a Colt fan, but I have always liked the top break revolvers - ever since I saw Zulu!!

Thanks,
John

Snow Fox

I have the .38 webley, a friend has the .455 webley. They are neat pieces. Mine ran about $300 but they are darned hard to find ammo for.

jlundy46

I have found two from the same dealer. Both are MKIVs in .38SW calibre. One is the prewar commercial version with a slightly shorter barrel, the other has a longer barrel and the war finish with a lanyard fitting. The latter is about $100 more than the commercial version. I would like to shoot it but it is also for reenacting with blanks. Midway has the .38SW ammo and it ranges from about $17 per 50 rounds (MagTech) to nearly $30 per 50 rounds for Winchester.

John

gordo b.

Get them both in a package deal if you can.The Mag tech is ok.Yes they do make blanks for them. The short barrel commercials wind my clock, for some odd reason!;)

jlundy46

After searching the web sales and auction sites, I couldn't find anything for under about $400. Today on the way home from work I popped into a gun shop I hadn't been in for some time and asked if they ever get Webleys in. The young man said sometimes and that they had one now. A nice MK IV five inch in .38 SW caliber with the lanyard ring. The price was $225 so I snatched it up on the spot. I will take some photos later today. Now, I need to order some ammo.:D

John

jlundy46

BTW, is there a reference where I can check the year of manufacture from the serial number (62631) or Patent number (186131)?

Thanks,
John

jlundy46

Just snapped a couple of photos.

Dsc06741small.jpg

Dsc06742small.jpg

Dsc06743small.jpg

jlundy46

The ammo I ordered from Midway arrived yesterday and I plan to go to the range tomorrow (Friday). I'll let you know how it shoots. Should be fun:p

John

jlundy46

Went to the range and fired my Webley this morning. Mechanically it is flawless. It is also alot of fun to shoot:) At 50 feet I had about a three inch spread single action. I am really happy with it.

John

DBotkin

If you have a MkIV .38, you owe it to yourself to handload for it. I was even happier once I started using the right dies (don't use .38/357 dies). The proper load isn't *quite* as wimpy as the .38 S&W factory stuff.