Weaver vs. Picatinny Rail Dimensions/Drawing?

Bogie

I'm looking to mount something on a rail, and I'm wondering if there is info on the differences, compatibility, etc., and if there is any official dimensioning information available.

mapsjanhere

From Wikipedia:
Weaver rails have a slot width of 0.180 in (4.572 mm), but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206 in (5.232 mm) and the spacing of slot centers is 0.394 in (10.008 mm)

kenno

Why are the Picatiny rail slots numbered? If the rings are mounted to an optic for Picatinny application they will fit on any appropiate leangth P-rail. Combo-sights and NV positions are essentialy self-determined as well.

Joat

Why are the Picatiny rail slots numbered?
Rails are numbered so that the accessory can be reinstalled in the same location it was removed from. This becomes important when trying to re-establish zero with optics that were removed from the rail, just as an example.

Joat

Clark

I was at a company that was doing research and development that got tested at Picatinny Arsenal. So we sometimes shipped it there.

Connected to our equipment, for alignment, was a Burris Signature 8x32x44 rifle scope. It was connected to our equipment with a Weaver rail:)