Weaver Super Slam

reynolds357

In general, what is the quality level of the latest generation of Weaver Super Slam?
For instance, what Leupold product line would it compare with?
I ordered one at a deal and am wondering what to expect. At the price I paid for it, it could be comparable to a Redfield revolution and I would still come out good. According to Weaver, its supposed to be super high end.

PetahW

IMHO there is no comparison between even the best Weaver (now made in Japan) to the crappiest used Leupold.

Jes' sayin'........................ :rolleyes:

FALPhil

PetahW wrote:
IMHO there is no comparison between even the best Weaver (now made in Japan) to the crappiest used Leupold.
Wow. That's helpful. Got anything to back that up?

When ATK bought the Weaver brand, they moved production to Light Optical Works, which makes the high-end Bushnell scopes. LOW has the technology to make as good a scope in any price range as any other scope manufacturer, the high-end Bushnells being a case in point. For any given power range, I find the high-end Bushnells to be have better field of view and better brightness than the equivalently priced Leupold, which is why I own more Bushnells than Leupolds.

There is no reason to think that Weavers are inferior scopes as compared to other scopes in the same price range, considering LOW has an excellent optical industry reputation for quality products.

SSA

VX3.
As far as I know, the super slam has always been made in Japan by LOW.
Nitrex was made in Japan. Likely the same glass as in the super slam. I have compared a Nitrex to a VX3.

reynolds357

Thanks. VX3 is about what I was hoping for.
Petah, I have a pile of Leupolds from VXII all the way up to a couple of their bench rest scopes. You definitely over rate Everything they make vxII and down.

PetahW

YMMV - I've owned/shot/hunted with both, and called it as I saw it.

I still have several Leupolds, but the only Weavers I now own are from El Paso.

handlerer2

Well, since they all use Jap glass now, Leupold, denied it for a long time, they now had to admit it, so what's the difference? Leupold should move the whole operation to the Phillipines and get back to a scope honestly worth their value. IMHO.

Saltydog235

Super Slams will rate right there with a VX-3 maybe a tad better. I own both and for hunting and low light conditions the SS is better than the VX-3. Running the new line of Weavers into the dirt is just stupid, they are making a fine scope these days for a much better value than Leupold and Bushnell's mid level lines.

taylorce1

Right now you can pick up a 3.5-10X40 VX3 for less than $399 (after $80 mail in rebate), which makes it cheaper than the Weaver SS in 2-10X42. Plus that it weighs in almost .5lbs lighter makes it a better value for me. I do use a Weaver GS Tactical that is built for Midway and wouldn't hesitate to use another Weaver product in the future.

Saltydog235

Right now you can pick up a 3.5-10X40 VX3 for less than $399 (after $80 mail in rebate), which makes it cheaper than the Weaver SS in 2-10X42. Plus that it weighs in almost .5lbs lighter makes it a better value for me. I do use a Weaver GS Tactical that is built for Midway and wouldn't hesitate to use another Weaver product in the future.

2.5X10X42 SS can be bought at Natchez for $309.95 in silver finish. Buy it, Duracoat or Rattle can it and roll on.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.c...2 Super Slam Riflescope Dual-X Reticle Silver

taylorce1

I'm still not going to put a .5lbs heaver scope on top of my hunting rifles, nor am I going to "rattle can" a quality piece of optics. I'll choose the lighter of the two optics every time, as the type of hunting I do is usually above 7000 feet is a lot different than your hunting around SC. Average day of hunting for me is 10+ miles of hiking over rugged terrain carrying several pounds of gear, food, and water. Anywhere I can cut weight I will.

I don't usually look to Natchez for anything as I hate their web page. The cheapest I'd found a 2-10 SS was $450. However getting a $450 ($595 MSRP) scope for nearly a $150 ($300 off MSRP) less makes me think that the whole line or particular model is going to get dropped. Don't get me wrong I think Weaver makes a good product again, but my only two experiences with their optics are GS Tactical as stated and the 2-7 power pistol scope. Both are great optics and I'd be happy to use Weaver again.

Saltydog235

To each their own. I understand shedding weight if you are doing a lot of walking. Here it is a lot of stand hunting and waiting. Rifle weight isn't that big of a consideration so much as light gathering and clarity at dusk and dawn. I've always found the Leupold scopes to be clear but lacking in dusk/dawn ability. Weaver's SS line is better in the latter aspect and equal in the former.

I put a Tactical up in the Classifieds because I don't particularly care for the EMDR reticle, just doesn't suit 95% of my purposes, thought I would but not really. Other than that, can't say a bad thing about it, accurate, repeatable, and built like a hammer.

I own plenty of each manufacturer among others. I think the one that I like best though is my Bushnell 4200 2.5X10X50 #4 Reticle for the hunting I do. However, I just ordered a Trijicon with the amber post and am looking forward to seeing how it does. Going to be a change trying to get the BAC down but it shouldn't be that hard.

Thought about seriously dropping some coin and getting a Ziess Victory HT but in the end just couldn't justify the price for something I can't seem to find in a store anywhere around here to put my hands on.

reynolds357

Scope came in today. Optics are awesome. Bright, clear, no edge distortion at any power. Pull up turrents is a feature I may or may not like; time will tell.
Optics are most definitely better than the current line of VXIII. I would have to spend a bit more time looking through the scope in varying light conditions, but from what I see so far, I do not think my Leupold Bench rest scopes are any better optically than the Weaver Super Slam.

Huffmanite

Chuckle, now you know why I own several Weaver Super Slams and no Leupolds.

As to the pull up turrets, they work quite well for me when adjusting them. I'm often at range trying some different powder, bullet and etc in my reloads. Pleased to report the Super Slam turret adjustments on my 3 SS work just fine when making changes for elevation or windage due to the different load I'm shooting at a target.