Weaver super slam 3-15 x50mm?

Saltydog235

Very good scopes. Glass is on par with the Leupold VX-3 at half the price (and yes I have compared them side by side, own both, the Weaver is just as good better in some aspects). Good eye relief, turrets reset to zero easily. Illumination is OK. Pretty good light gathering capability. If you are sitting to the edge of darkness, you'll want the illumination since Weaver's reticles are very thin. Most have both red and green illumination.

Limited elevation travel as you'd expect in a 1" scope. Adjustments are a little mushy but are repeatable.

I've had 3 Super Slams, recommended them to others and have yet to hear of one with problems. Were I putting together a set up on a budget, it would be at the top of the line.

Last edited:

dvdcrr

Question on this model: (forwarning, I never ask easy ones)
Is Weaver still making their non Kaspas in Japan or have they switched to China?

oldscot3

I have a pair of binos and a 4x scope bought last year. I'm a super fan... can't say enough good things about them, except that they keep coming up on sale for prices that make them a super deal.
I'm planning on ordering one soon for a 270 I have.

reynolds357

I have a Weaver Super Slam. I like everything about it except the warranty. Weaver needs to quit making us keep up with our receipts for warranty service. From now on, I will buy scopes that do not require me to keep up with paper. In that price range, I believe Minox has far superior glass to Weaver.

Saltydog235

Minox uses Schott glass and it is very good. Minox uses crappy internals and erector components. I've seen 3 fail to date and only been around 6. Granted it was the first ones released in the US, they may be better now. Sort of like Nikon in my book, repeated failures make you want to put your money elsewhere.

reynolds357

The first two generations of Minox were pure crap in the reliability department. The new ones are bullet proof. I had three of the first generation scopes. They all three failed and were all three replaced with the second generation scopes. All three second generation scopes failed and I had gotten to know customer service so well by then that they told me to choose any power I wanted for the three replacement scopes and they would send them to me. The third generations scopes are awesome. I ended it with $2800 worth of scopes for $900 orig investment. Their customer service is second to none. Their new optics are rugged and reliable. First two generations are trash, but if you can find them cheap buy them, because in all probability you just bought yourself a new, very expensive, third generation scope. After you call customer service that is.:D

Huffmanite

Own several Weaver Super Slams. Very nice scopes that I do not hesitate to recommend. Agree with Saltydog's comments.

codefour

Weaver scopes, especially the super slams are hidden gems in the optics world. Natchez Shooters Supply has em on sale often. I have two of their tactical models and two Super Slam Euro models. They all have 30mm tubes and are exceptionally clear. Some friends use Vortex Vipers but my Weavers are night and day difference. The Weaver turrets have a great lock method and re-zeroing. The turrets click lightly but do lock down so they won't move. My Leopoldo's and NightForce have a firmer click.

They are comparable to a Leupold M4. They are about 90% as clear as NightForce. My Weaver Tacticals were $750 on sale at Natchez IIRC. The comparable NightForce is in the $2,000 range. I bought NightForce for work years ago. I would spring for another NightForce if I still used them at work. But for everyday target shooting the Weavers are a better deal. I have not shot my Weavers past 600 yards tho.

The cons although small. They do not have a huge amount of internal elevation or windage adjustment. All mine are the 4-20 by 50mm. They are first focal plane. The reticle so can be hard to see on lower power.

elmbow

Have owned two Grand Slams, decent scopes, Japanese mfg, nothing exceptional, vignetted too much for my likes, but overall a good value for $300. Not sure how that relates to the Super Slams. A problem with companies like Weaver and their scopes is the unknown of where they outsource their production. If it breaks how do you get warranty service? Chances are it never will and you'll get good service out of it.