Weaver 1-5x24mm Super Slam Dangerous Game on AR?

wyobohunter

http://http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849352

Anybody have one? I'm thinking of putting one on the AR-15 I'll be picking up real soon. I was looking at a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm but the Weaver has a little wider FOV at 1 power and the 30mm tube should transmit more light than the Leupold 1" tube (shouldn't it?).

I do not enjoy packing two long guns at a time while out predator calling. I've been packing a 12 gauge with #4 buckshot for close & quick and a .243 Win. single shot with a 6 power scope for out there a ways. I'm hoping split the difference with an AR and the right optic. Thoughts?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've done night-time calling for coyotes, and it seems as though most shots were somewhere around thirty to forty yards. The 2x7x32 on my rifle was plenty good for the purpose.

I don't really think it's all that critical. Just off the cuff, most any low-powered variable would work for night-time. 4X is plenty good on coyotes to a couple of hundred yards in daylight, in my experience. (Weaver K4 on a Mini-14.)

wyobohunter

I had basically the same thoughts. Most any low power would work for darktime and upclose. I really like the looks of that Weaver though. I've read it works well with both eyes open on 1x. At some point I'd like to give 3 gun competition a try... I think that this setup could pull double duty as a competition and varmint rifle.

Mobuck

I've developed a preference for the lower X variables in the 1-5 range for short barrelled AR's. I don't see a need for more than 5x on a 16" .223. When I was younger, I never used anything but a 4X scope and did very well but now I need more X over 300 yards.

alloy

I have a Leupold 1.5x5. Mark 4, but that's beside the point....I think it's just a juked up VX-3. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it. With the illuminated feature it's nice in low light, not hunting for the reticle.
I would think your choice, or similar would be ideal.