Weatherby Vanguard S2

handlerer2

I don't own the S-2 Vanguard, but do own a 2007 model and I really am impressed with it. From what I have read and heard the S-2 is improved in several ways. It has an improved trigger, and a better stock.

Mine is a 300WBY, and the factory target is between .6-.7". It is a perfectly suitable hunting rifle. It is all together better built than its competition, IMO . It features a solid bolt, a receiver machined from a solid steel billet, with integral recoil lug. None of the other rifles in it's price group share these attributes.

The Rem 700, the Savage, Tikka, Marlin, ect all have receivers drilled from bar stock, fused, alloyed or partially hollow bolts, and washers for recoil lugs. None of these things detract from their suitability as hunting rifles, but I will accept an extra 8 ounces of weight, for old fashioned solidity.

I have owned MDL 700's in the past and never had any issues with them, but I now consider them over priced for what they are.

I am going to attach the factory target for my Vanguard. I have come very close to this with factory and handloads, but 300WBY isn't the easiest rifle to shoot from a bench, but I nev er missed or lost a deer shot with this rifle. In most cases with a good shot placement it is instant death for a mule deer.

Well for some reason I am unable to upload the file I was trying to attach.

Last edited:

AllenJ

I have a S2 in 243 Winchester and have a good friend that has one in 270WSM. Very good buy in my opinion (and my friends). They are a little heavier than the average rifle but we are shooting sub 1/2" groups, him with factory ammo and me with reloads.

I had one but sold it then bought the Ruger American. Both in 30-06. I checked the Vanguard against the recall list but mine was not included. It happened that I was sort of impatient as deer season was closing in. I was not happy with the fussing I was facing regarding scope bases. I swapped for the Ruger American, scope install was no hassle, simple and I was all set to go. In fairness, the guy that got my Vanguard did install a scope, but he ended up adjusting the knobs a heckuva a lot more turns than I care to do. Both rifles are really good shooters. The Vanguard really needed a special set of mounts that are available, but I didn't take the time to get them. Other bases could be used with shimming but I didn't care to do that. No such effort was needed with the Ruger.

Mobuck

Just my opinion and I AM a "Ruger man" but, trading a Vanguard for a Ruger American was quite a backstep.
Regarding the scope bases, they're the same as Remington 700 with as wide a selection as you could possibly need.
I have several Vanguards(S1) and have upgraded one with the Timney trigger. The S2 is a very good buy compared to what I have in the S1 + Timney.

AllenJ

^^^ What he said:D I put the same bases and rings on my S2 as I did my sons R700 and have not had any problems.

waterboy68

I also have one of the early models. (.243)
Excellent gun for the price. I can shoot under and inch with it and I don't feel like I'm that good of a shot. Probably do even better in someone else's hands!! LOL!

Vanguard.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just curious about the scope bases in the above photo.
When you sighted in, did you bore sight first or not?
How far off was the bore sight, how far off were the first shots & how much did you need to adjust if you remember?
I remember mine was way too much to one side of the target. Since I replaced mine with the Ruger, I also installed a different scope which needed little to none as far as dialing in. I removed the other scope from the Vanguard before selling that rifle off and later sold that scope to a guy for a different application. He's a coyote hunter. He told me how well pleased he was with the Monarch scope. I said I bet you had to turn the windage knob quite a few times didn't you. He replied, "as a matter of fact, I sure did".
One of the guys I talked to at one of the gun shops where I had no luck with bases suggested the holes may not have been inline. I brought my boresighter with me to visit his shop in an effort to find better suited bases & rings since I was not getting anything acceptable in my home town area. It was quite a long drive and then to come home without satisfaction. I stopped at a gun shop on the way home, bought the Ruger American, dialed it in precisely in nothing flat. Everything work just fine and exactly as expected. I really wouldn't think scope base holes could be drilled & tapped off center from the bore. But the guy at the shop fussing with bases & rings suggested exactly that.

Mobuck

I don't have an S-2, all mine are the earlier design(Mossberg/S&W 1500, Wby Vanguard). I have 2 in .223, a 7mm08, and a 257 Wby-all of which are decent shooters. I did replace the trigger on the 257 with a Timney which took care of the grate and hitch trigger pull. The Howa/Wby Vanguard are the best looking of the economical grade rifles and shoot beyond expectations.

jaysouth

I have the S-2 in .308. I bought it to be a cast bullet shooter because the .308 has 1:12" twist.

Out of the box with jacketed reloads, I get under MOA as advertised. With my cast loads I get about 2 MOA which makes me happy.

The trigger is adjustable, but I have not seen fit to mess with it. It is great as is. One reason I would spend an extra hundred over a Ruger or Savage(both great rifles) is the fixed magazine with a hinged floor plate. The detachable box mags on cheaper rifles are just one more thing to go wrong and VERY expensive to replace.

If a 7 1/2 pound rifle with a 24" barrel works for you, you cannot go wrong with the S-2. However, 20" barrel 'carbines' are available and weigh in at 7 pounds. This is the same weight and length as a Marlin 30-30.

It would be harder to imagine a better deer rifle than an S-2 carbine in .308 or 7-08.

tahunua001

mine is also the PreS2 vanguard from before they were guaranteed sub MOA. it's a dead accurate gun if I do my part and don't heat the barrel too much. it's been through hell for the last two winters being snowed on, rained on, dropped, kicked, banged off trees, dropped in mud, dirt, snow, and it still managed to kill my elk this year with two direct shots to the head and not a speck of rust to speak of. they are great guns, every bit as good as Howas.

Cowboy_mo

I don't have an S2 but do have an older Vanguard in .270 Win. I installed a Timney trigger in it because of problems with the original. It has always shot 1" or less even with the heavy and (to me) gritty original trigger.

IMO the Vanguards are great rifles and the new trigger in the S2 has apparently solved all the old trigger complaints.

I don't think I would carry one for a stalking rifle as they are heavy. But hey I'm old and doing good to carry myself on a long walk :)

myfriendis410

Every Vanguard I've handled shot extremely well out of the box. I sell guns for the Air Force and that's the gun I most often put in a customer's hands. Simply the best value out there today IMO.

gwtx

I have a S1 in .223, S2 in .243, S2 in .270. All shoot sub MOA when I can get myself steady. They feel like a much higher priced rifle, solid, maybe a little heavy, but the weight is appreciated in the .270. My shoulder isn't as tough as it was years ago. On sale under $500 sometimes. Might take a look at the "Howa's" as well. They have the same action, and have good reviews, and some interesting configurations. I still would rather have Weatherby even if the action is japanese.

JumpMarine

I've had an old Vanguard in .300 Win for 23 years and a current V2 Sporter in 7mm-08. Both shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100y all day long. Great bang for your buck!

btmj

A couple of years ago, I got a pre-S2 in 243 with a walnut stock. I bought it sight-unseen through Buds. When it arrived, I was quite pleased with how beautiful the stock was. the walnut stock was the equal of a Browning or Winchester M70, for about 400 less.

Mine has the older single stage trigger, and it is crisp. With a sandbag, I can shoot 1 inch groups with regularity, using any factory 100 grain ammo. I am sure with some experimentation I could find a load it really liked and do better than an inch, but this is a deer rifle. My buddy has a vanguard in 308, and with his handloaded 168 grain SMKs, he can make a 2 inch group at 300 yards (about .66 MOA), but he has to let the barrel cool down between shots.

With the weight of the vanguard, it really shines in the more powerful cartridges, IMO. This would be a great gun in 30-06, 7mm mag, or 300 mag... where the 9 lb weight and well designed monte carlo stock would be an advantage.

Last edited:

cdbeagle

I have two S2's and one of the previous models that has had a trigger job. They are all great shooters. The stock on the older model was broken and when I called Weatherby to purchase another one they sent me an S2 stock with a tiny blemish for free.

I also like the heavy weight because I have a bad shoulder. Now that CZ is discontinuing the 550 American I will definitely always look at Vanguard first when buying a new rifle.

CosmicCoder

I have two S2's: one in .30-06 Sprg and one in .243 Win. I love them both. They both are fine shooters with very good triggers.