Weatherby Vanguard S2 .308 ammo recommendations

Joe Chicago

Does anyone in the forum have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308 with the standard 24" barrel? What hunting ammo does yours like? I have some Rem Core-Lokt 150gr, Core-Lokt 180 gr, Federal 150 gr and Winchester 150 gr. I would also like to try some 165/168 gr. I am hoping someone here ran a good range of ammo through theirs and can narrow my search (and save me money). I know, every rifle is different, but I am hoping that Weatherby's/Howa's QC is tight enough that identical rifles coming off the same line will like the same rounds. With a little luck, she will like Rem Core-Lokt, which has served me well in the past.

Thanks in advance for your help.

btmj

My shooting buddy has a vanguard in 308.

It is pretty accurate with plain-jane Remington 150 gr core-lokts... consistantly within 1 MOA. For shooting white-tails and Missouri hogs (200 lb or less), this old-school bullet is plenty. In fact, 308 is borderline over-kill for white-tails and small hogs.

For shooting paper, he handloads sierra match king 168 grain. That rifle can make a single ragged hole at 200 yards with those SMKs.