Weatherby PA-08 (uplander pump)

mpd61

Just saw one at Dicks for $299. Couldn't believe what I was handling...It's made in Turkey but the wood and metal are quite decent. Operation seemed good too. I can't find anything here or much elsewhere. Anybody have any experiences or thoughts?
:confused:

mpd61

OK now you've done it...

Now the sale is over and the price is $319...
I'm going to buy it since nobody here said not to!
:eek:

BigJimP

Well ok ---- I would say don't buy it ..../ but I don't have any personal experience with the gun either.

I think its one of those guns that might hold up / then again it might not. You don't really know how many MIM parts are in it ...how good the steel is, etc.

Personally, if you want a long term pump gun - the Browning BPS is about as good as it gets in my opinion for around $ 525 for the Hunter model. I know the Browning BPS Hunter models - will give you a solid 30+ yrs of service / because I have 2 of them - one in 12ga and one in 20ga ....that look and operate almost as good as they did when they were new in the 1970's.

There are a lot of good pump guns on the market - Rem 870 Wingmasters, Benelli Novas, Browning BPS ....but I hope the gun works out for you. Put 500 shells thru it and give us a range report please !

mpd61

Thanks Big Jim!

I agree with you. I am in the process of replenishing my gun cabinet after a few years of financial meltdown. I actually have no shotgun right now. I have promised myself to buy the current production BPS hunter in 16 Gauge before this year ends. This Weatherby is a good gamble I think. Since I started this thread I saw the gun highlighted in the recent Field N Stream. I'll break it in shooting some trap and get back to you folks. ;)

BTW...My dream gun is a 1620 Merkel or something of that nature

BigJimP

Unless you reload - a 16ga is an expensive option these days.

40 yrs ago / 16ga's were common - and prior to guns with screw in chokes / we had guns that were specific to certain uses. These days - with screw in chokes - and a variety of commercial shells available in a 12ga - its easy to find 1 oz loads in 12ga ( the typical 16ga load ) or even 7/8 oz ( the typical 20ga load ) - so the reality is a 12ga will really operate very well in terms of versatility from a heavy 12ga load ( 1 1/8oz -- or down to 7/8 oz ) - so unless your desire for a 16ga is just nostalgic ...I'd suggest you at least consider a 12ga instead - and the shells are way cheaper than a 16ga.

Good luck with the new gun / whichever way you decide to go.

oneounceload

BTW...My dream gun is a 1620 Merkel or something of that nature

Then go for it........or look into an Uggie - 1 to 1.5 K, used AyA, or similar....since 16 isn't that popular, some of these well-made older guns will be available for a song

mpd61

You're both right!

Big Jim and One ounce
The 12 gauge is cheaper and arguably more versatile for less cost in ammo. In practice I have found plenty of 16 gauge loads currently made that will do for everything from Upland to waterfowl and turkey/goose. True I can't always find them at every Walmart all the time, yet I have found them at Bass Pro and Cabela's in the local area.
When I can have a new production BPS in 16 Ga on a 20 Gauge frame, well, I aint wasting my money on a 20 ga gun...
I'm gonna buy the 12 Gauge for trap primarily. The 16 IS for Nostalgia and indifference to the 20 gauge
;)

BigJimP

It just depends on what you want ...the style and weight, etc..

I like a 12ga / in any platform semi-auto, pump and Over Under ( I'm not a SXS guy like my buddy OneOunce ..)

But I also have and like 20, 28ga and .410's -- all made on 20ga frames. It just depends on what I want to do / sporting clays, some Skeet, Trap or some field hunting... Its a nice problem to have ...wondering which gun and which gague I'll take out to the club tomorrow ...

Good luck and have fun in your search for the perfect gun. ( I fall in love with too many / too many of them seem to follow me home ) :D:D