Weatherby 307

stagpanther

This is a very interesting new model to me--it appears to be a nod to the home-builder who wants to customize it to their own tastes since they also are offering actions alone. I'm not sure how the vanguard will survive unless it's going to be offered as a cheaper "one and done" alternative since it too is based on a remmie 700 style action. I might have to give this a go at some point. I'm an unabashed huge fan of Weatherby.

Last edited:

natman

This is a very interesting new model to me--it appears to be a nod to the home-builder who wants to customize it to their own tastes since they also are offering actions alone. I'm not sure how the vanguard will survive unless it's going to be offered as a cheaper "one and done" alternative since it too is based on a remmie 700 style action. I might have to give this a go at some point. I'm an unabashed huge fan of Weatherby.

Considering that you can buy a Vanguard for less than half the price of a 307, I'd say it fits the bill as a cheaper alternative.

stagpanther

Considering that you can buy a Vanguard for less than half the price of a 307, I'd say it fits the bill as a cheaper alternative.
I'd say the rock-bottom Vanguard model is half price, I'm curious if Howa still makes the Vanguard actions. The lowest-priced 307 gives you a better stock, better trigger and larger AICS magazines--at $1200 that's pretty competitive price point for anyone's similar rifle. But I might just buy the action and build from there.

44 AMP

Staff
Looks like a (somewhat) upgraded Rem 700 to me. If the extractor isn't "better' than a 700, its at least more easily replaceable. :rolleyes:

stagpanther

I've seen and shot some of Weatherby's new production rifles since bringing production in-house at their new facility, I've seen noticeable improvements in quality of manufacturing. The one thing they've done that I'm not crazy about is the "click lock" of their new cerrokoted MK 5 bolts which I find a bit annoying and making chambering a round a bit more involved if you have "muscle memory" of the smoothness of their old bolts (but the new ones have a shorter throw).

I like that the 307 uses AICS magazines standard and offers the same ease of bolt and barrel change-out as the remages.

Looks like a (somewhat) upgraded Rem 700 to me. If the extractor isn't "better' than a 700, its at least more easily replaceable.
It's a toss-up IMO which is more of a hassle--changing AR extractors or chasing bouncing BBs across the room.;)

jmr40

They are copying the Ruger Predator.

It doesn't do anything a Ruger Predator or a Tikka won't do just as well for 1/2 the money. I can't find a weight listed for it, but traditionally Weatherby actions are 1/2 to 3/4 lb heavier than everything else.

Ruger uses AICS mags as well. I find the 10 round mags to be too much of a good thing and prefer the 5 round mags. And 5 round mags for the Tikka are just as easy to find and even cheaper.