Wear On Revolvers

don leo

I currently own a Smith & Wesson Peformance Center Model 627 (8-shot), and have been shooting it for 2 years. Recently, I noticed some wear underneath the top strap of the revolver just in front of the forcing cone. The wear is in the form of blast scratches in a thin line just before the forcing cone. Want to know if this is just normal wear and tear on a revolver, or do I have a cylinder gap problem. Any comments appreciated...

blades67

If the marks you describe are just a discoloration, this could be normal wear. However, if the marks you describe are stress or fatigue fractures, this will require a trip back to Smith & Wesson for inspection and repair. Well, that's my shot in the dark. ;) (sorry, couldn't help myself)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Don,

Took a look at mine and it has some discoloration, but no pitting. This flame cutting, I believe its called, is a part of normal wear in a revolver. Lots of pressure blowing through such a small hole. Understand that these PC guns are very addictive, but if you want yours to last, second and third guns are a must.

S&W627pc.JPG

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 15, 1999).]

Grayfox

Yes, its called flame cutting. The .357 Magnum is bad about doing this. As long as it just looks like a small scratch there's no problem. If it starts to spread or gets deeper, send the gun in for repair.

stubby

The flame cutting is a self-limiting problem. It will get somewhat deeper but then stop getting any worse. As the groove gets deeper, the gases are dispersed before they can do any further damage. It is normal and not anything that you should concern yourself with. Just enjoy your revolver!!! Stubby

G. Kennedy

What other's on this post have said is correct. Flame cutting is normal on .357's, I have them on my model 28(I shoot full power rounds exclusively through it). That is a big reason the .357Maximum had problems in the Ruger guns, SERIOUS flame cutting.

If you have any doubts that is what it is send it to Smith & Wesson.

dw445sm

What Stubby says is true. I have seen this flame cutting on two Dan Wesson revolvers I own. It was more pronounced in my DW .445 Super Mag revolver due to the special caliber - essentially a lengthened .44 Mag case. And these Wesson Super Mag guns are designed to operate with a .002" barrel cylinder gap, which I believe will be far tighter than the S&W, so more of the flame and hot gases get into the barrel - but it still flame cuts. If yours is cutting into the top strap, it should soon stop and go no deeper. My cutting has stopped. You can watch it, but there's probably no need to worry.
Wayne