Weapon Light Mounting

amprecon

I was wondering which side of the rifle are you supposed to mount a weapon light if you are unable to mount it to the underside, or is it just personal preference.
I am planning to install rails on a couple of my rifles for the TLR-1 and was thinking of just placing it where it would be the easiest to manipulate.

mskdgunman

What kind of rifle are you mounting it on where you can't put it under the barrel? In any event, it's personal preference. With the TRL, you can either activate the rocker with the thumb or index finger. It depends on if you are right or left handed and what side the light is on so one position isnt necessarily better.

If possible, try all three and locations and see what feels best for you. Thats really all that matters. I have had my light in three different locations before going with what I currently use

A pressure switch makes actually manipulating the light academic unless you need to leave the light on for some reason. I use the TLR-1 on my AR (mounted on a CAA Bayonet lug mount) and on my Glock. The bayonet lug mount puts it far enough forward so I don't bump it accidently but I can still reach it if I need to leave it on for some reason (primary is a pressure switch). I did have it mounted at the 1:30 position on the right side of weapon but found I prefer it under the barrel. (No use for the bayonet lug anyway)

Slopemeno

I did some experimenting with this very question, as my friends and I loved to play paintball at night, and usually one or two guys had lights mounted.

Under the barrel works well, but it casts a long shadow from the users perspective. Engaging someone over a log, desk, etc casts a bigger shadow. From an ergomic standpoint I think this might be superior, though.

Over the barrel setups (like the more primitive MP-5 setups you used to see the SAS use) kick ass, as the light is actually there slightly before you are going over obstacles. They get top heavy, though.

I'd probably say side-mount the light on your dominant side.

amprecon

Well I ordered the daniels defense offset light mount for use on the M1A. I'll fit it between the scope rings on the ARMS #18 mount and hang it off the left side to keep the action area clear. But I also wanted to mount it on the SLR-95 and on the M1 Garand. I ordered the universal tactical rails to mount to one side of the forearms of both rifles.
I'm thinking that since the light will be mounted on the left side on the M1A, it'd probably best to have it in the same place on all rifles.