Weapon Charges?!?!?!?!

Gunslinger

I was in court today with Terridarri's son. He was the victim of an assualt a few months ago and had to appear to testify in the case. While there I observed another unrelated case that members may be interested in hearing about.
There was a defendant that had fired a shot from his deer rifle at his live in girlfriend. She was sitting one a sofa with her back to him when he fired the shot into the back of the sofa where she was sitting. The shot, for what ever reason, failed to exit the sofa and therefore did not reach or harm her. Later that evening his BAC was .22.
Here's the strange part. He was charged with third degree misdemeanor assault. The assistant prosecutor and his defense attorney reached a plea agreement in which he was given a thirty day suspended sentense, one year probation and ordered to continue an alcohol program that he had enrolled in shortly after the incident and subsequent charges.
The judge in the case did admonish the prosecutors office for not having filed felony assault charges.
Strange in deed. I'm still trying to collect my response to this?!?!?!?!

------------------
Gunslinger

bruels

I suppose the prosecutor felt he would have had difficulty proving willful intent to shoot his girlfriend. Defense was going to maintain it was an accident. He had no serious priors. His girlfriend was going to be a difficult witness. The list goes on.

Apple a Day

So what just happened was that they rewarded some guy for trying to kill a woman but failing- and they gave him a slap on the wrist and told him not to come back to court until he does it RIGHT. Am I getting this straight?
Or maybe they just told us that it is okay to attempt murder as long as you get drunk first.
Just to add stupid to insulting, the guy is probably back with his girlfriend right now. Any bets? A pity she didn't perforate him in self defense.

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

pax

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just to add stupid to insulting, the guy is probably back with his girlfriend right now. Any bets? A pity she didn't perforate him in self defense. [/quote]

For the most part, women who live with and tolerate violent and abusive men simply aren't emotionally capable of self defense. :(

And self defense is easier than standing up in a court of law and telling the truth about a man who abuses her.

pax

------------------
"Is there anything wrong with a woman preferring the dignity of an armed citizen? I don't like to be coddled and I don't like to be treated like a minor child. So I waive immunity and claim my right -- I go armed." -- Longcourt Phyllis in Beyond This Horizon by Robert Heinlein