Weak Hand Trigger Pull

rdtompki

Wife and I took a lesson yesterday and the instructor had me shoot one-handed with both my strong (right) hand and weak hand. I wasn't as steady with my left arm/hand, but my trigger pull was definitely better. The instructor said this wasn't unusual in his experience, something about one-sided folks (that's me) having better small muscle control with their weak hand.

Anyone else experience this/

Nick_C_S

In IDPA competition, it's referred as the "support hand" ;)

I'm one of those people too. I shoot a lot, so a lot of the natural tendencies have been "covered up" by practice. I shoot right-handed. But when I shoot one-handed, I'm better support hand only than my strong hand only. And like you, it's not a strength thing. It's a trigger pull thing.

Actually, I'm an excellent shot support hand only. When I go to IDPA competitions and I see a support hand only stage, I get a smile on my face.

JohnKSa

Administrator
In slowfire bullseye type competition, my weak-hand scores are generally very good. Part of that is when shooting weak-handed, I switch eyes as well and my vision is a little better in that eye.

When time becomes an issue and I have to speed up a little, then shooting weak-handed is a real handicap.

g.willikers

One explanation for being as good or even better with the support or off hand could be due to the stance.
For two handed shooting, our usual stance places the off hand side leg forward.
And that provides a very good stance for shooting off hand.