WD40 OK for nickel?

Texas2NC

I would not suggest using WD40 on anything, much less a firearm.

WD40, when not cleaned off completely, can crystalize causing more problems that it fixes.

My family business is locksmithing and safes. I have worked on and off for my Dad for 30 years and have seen locks that the owners used WD40 on. The insides are torn up where the WD40 crystalized, the key was forced in anyway and caused huge gouges inside the keyway.

Anywho.... Don't have a good nickel cleaner suggestrion... sorry.

Mal H

Staff
WD40 is good for exactly what it is designed to do - Water Displacement. For your firearm, if it got drowned, you might consider using WD40 and then get it all off and use some real oil on it. Which oil? Your choice, there's lots of 'em, but WD40 isn't one.

Rezdog

WD-40 was long ago (early 1970s) discovered to be a bad choice for ALL plating, including nickel. Some collector was spraying his guns down regularly and lo and behold -- the finish started flaking off. I've heard that Hoppe's #9 will also eat away plating.

Ledbetter

Hoppes #9 has ammonia

(Not as much as some others bore cleaners, including Hoppes Benchrest.)

Nickel plating is usually applied over a base plate of copper, for better adhesion. If there are any nicks or worn spots in the nickel, the ammonia can seep under the nickel, into the copper, and cause the nickel to flake off.

I use CLP, Sheath or Rem Oil (in order of preference) to wipe down my one nickel gun, a Colt Govt. .380. Once a year or so, I polish the outside with Flitz and a handkerchief.

Regards.

Snowdog

Other than getting rid of irritating squeaks and occasionally as a grease-crud cutter for auto parts, I can't find much other use for WD-40.

I will say the stuff makes short work of a hornets nest if you have both a lighter and your running shoes.

Last edited:

TYPE181

WD40

Have used WD40 on my collection for at least 20 years. Blued, parkerized, stainless, nickle - no damage of any kind. I saturate the gun, blow it out, wipe it off, swab the barrel, and use Hoppes #9 oil for lubrication on all points of friction and metal surfaces. Rust is not an issue and crystalization is not present. Some guns have been totally dismantled and inspected. I shoot approximately 10k rounds total per year through 16 pistols, 2 shotguns, and 6 rifles.

Best to you.

Hal

At last count I had 7 Nickel finished guns.

I clean them with Ballistol, and use either Clenzoil or RIG oil on the satin finish ones as a wipe down, and Flitz rifle/gun wax on the bright finish ones to ward off fingerprints and other smudges.

#9 and other ammonia based stuff will eat the finish and I've heard it may cause it to yellow. Either reason is enough for me to avoid using it.

WD40 has a bad reputation for leaving nasty deposits. I've never had problems with it myself, but the sheer number of others that have make me want to avoid it.