WD40 bad for guns?

Housezealot

A friend recently &%## a brick when he saw me wiping down a pistol with WD40, he said that over time it can tear up the finish.
I have been using WD40 on firearms since I was a kid and my dad has been doing it for as long as I can remember.
Generaly my buddy knows what he is talking about but this one sent me for a loop.
Is there something here I'm unaware of?

oneounceload

it is a water displacement, and can also leave a residue. Don't get it on wood stocks. As long as you're careful, no problem

Mal H

Staff
I guess it depends entirely on the finish, I don't think there is anything in WD40 that would harm most gun finishes.

However, you could choose much better products for your firearms. WD40 is not designed to be a lubricant. It is a Water Displacement formulation designed to assist in drying and minimally lubricating things. It is a good cleaner, but it should be followed by a little oil.

I proved to myself that I don't want to use it as a lubricant long ago when I would spray it on door hinges. Within a year those hinges had gummed up with a black coating that was anything but a lubricant. Regular oil (take your pick of the thousands available) is much better for the job.

Doyle

WD40 got a bad name in guns when people used it for a lubricant (particularly long term storage). It is not a decent lubricant and there are certainly much better protectants. If used over a period of time with out getting the earlier coats off, it can build and get gummy. When it does that, it attracts dirt.

It is however, a reasonably good water remover and cleaner. I personally think there are better options available to gun owners.

Pahoo

Personally I do not think it is all that bad but there are much better products on the market. It may be a good moisture displacer but not much on lubrcating or protecting. I sprayed some on an axe head, hung it in my shop and two days later, saw rust starting to show. Try it for yourself. Heck, I never see any residue. I understand that it is mostly fish oil. Like I said; there are better product to choose from. :)

Be Safe !!!

inSight-NEO

I put WD-40 in the ranks of such things as brake cleaners/degreasers, simple green, etc. In a pinch, they do the job. But, as has been mentioned several times before, there are better, much more "firearm specific" products out there. Personally, Id stick with those.

My gun cleaning/lubrication routine usually involves Hoppes #9 and Weapon Shield. I will break out the Flitz and/or Shooters Choice Copper Remover for the tougher jobs (every 6 to 12 months or so). But, when it comes to merely "wiping down" the weapon, I generally lean towards a light coat of Weapon Shield.

Last edited:

Super Trucker

As stated WD40 will gum things up eventually.

I have used Breakfree CLP for the last 20 years , if its good enough for the military who am I to knock it?

Tom2

In a jam it will get water etc. out of the gun and prevent rust until you get something better to apply to it. But hell, maybe Pam food spray would do the same.

ramp_tech

To use on a 22 plinker, I prob will be okay with it.
However, I won't trust WD40 on my carry piece, especially in the winter months.

3 gun

Not my first choice, or even in the top five unless I've been soaked and can't clean the gun correctly. It is better than letting it rust. Mostly I stick to CLP.

Housezealot

I use it mostly for a quick wipedown if I have been handling a blued piece, I don't use it as lubricant. I fimd it's handy to just spray on a rag and wipe away any finger smudges but perhaps I'll just get some spray gun lubricant.
thanks everybody

paull

I think the key is to avoid exposing your ammo/primers to WD40...
It will negate the "bang effect".
p

carguychris

WD-40 does a great job of removing the nasty brown varnish deposits left by poor-quality lubricants, but it won't strip off all traces of oil and leave the firearm vulnerable to rust like solvents such as Gun Scrubber, brake cleaner, and carb cleaner. It also doesn't attack paint like mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, which makes it handy for removing oil or grease from guns with painted finishes such as S&W Airweight revolvers, milsurp CZ-82s, or Pakistani Lee-Enfields.

However, this is the only reason I use WD-40 on firearms. As others have mentioned, it dries up and leaves varnish, and only offers fair to middling rust protection. I clean the gun with WD-40, then wipe off as much as I can before lubricating with quality gun oil.

riggins_83

WD-40 does leave a residue and that can adversely affect reliability especially since coming from a spray can it may get in the action even if it's not intended that way. Far as oil goes I have yet to find anything better than Shooter's Choice FP10, not too thick, not too thin... very smooth. Rem Oil is ok too but on a carry gun it tends to run a little too fast for me.

pax

It did a wonderful job displacing all the water remaining inside the antique firearms at the local veteran's museum after they had been left lying in muddy flood water for several days after the levee broke. We followed up with a complete cleaning, of course. But since it took nearly a week to get to detail clean all the guns, the WD40 spritzed into the barrels and actions immediately when we got in the building was a real lifesaver.

pax