Ways to Smooth a Winchester Model 94 Action?

Hard Ball

Does anyone know a good way to smooth the action of a Winchester Model 94? I have one with an extremely stiff action.

SamD

Hard Ball.
I can think of severl ways but none of them are anything I would want you to try from advice over a board.

What I do reccomend is that you make sure it's empty, lubricate it a little heavier than normal,sit on the sofa and spend a couple of evenings cycling it. Maybe 1000-1500 times. You will be surprised at the difference, a lot less expensive than shipping it off too. Then clean it up nice re lube and you should be set.

Sam

Pointer

lubricate it a little heavier than normal,sit on the sofa and spend a couple of evenings cycling it.

SamD is right, this will work...

I recommend you "lube" it with a jewelers rouge, abrasive polishing compound... (The automobile type will work OK too.)

When you are done... CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY
Wash it with very HOT dish washer soap solution...
Blow dry... :D

Reassemble it and operate the action.
If you aren't satisfied with the smoothness... REPEAT the process.

NOTE: When you lube it, DON'T use anything silicone-based...
Cold makes it sticky... :p

Lube very, very lightly!

OR you could trade it for a BLR... ;)

chadwimc

If you're going to cycle the action to smooth it out, it needs to be done on Saturday mornings. While watching cowboy and indian movies...:D

cntryboy1289

I with Sam on this one

I would do like what was originally posted and oil it up and work it open and closed. It will be fine and will smooth it out just fine. If you use a rouge on it, just what would you put it on? There is nothing in the gun that needs it's final size to be reduced which is exactly what using the rouge will do to it.

New guns are stiff simly because they haven't been used much. Solve that problem by using it.

Pointer

final size to be reduced which is exactly what using the rouge will do to it.

Maybe so...

But it's difficult to believe the "reduction" in size would be measurable... :rolleyes:

It's also difficult to believe that a jeweler would "risk" reducing the size of a stone or gold or platinum ring...

I have polished a lot of brass with rouge or similar products and I never noticed the object getting smaller.

I guess I'll just have to give it up... :( :eek: :cool:

Pointer

If you use a rouge on it, just what would you put it on?

IF it is used...

It would be best to put it between friction surfaces...

Wouldn't do much good anywhere else.

NOTE: I don't think this is the best method...

I'd rather see the parts polished separately and reassembled...

And, a rouge/oil mixture would still be very effective... :)

Pointer

If you use a rouge on it, just what would you put it on?

IF it is used...

It would be best to put it between friction surfaces... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't do much good anywhere else.

NOTE: I don't think this is the best method...

I'd rather see the parts polished separately and reassembled...

And, a rouge/oil or rouge/grease mixture would still be very effective... :)

cntryboy1289

two things

I use rouge to polish with. There are times when a rouge isn't cleaned out very well which isn't good if you don't get it out. If you believe that polishing with a rouge doesn't remove some of the surface, how is it that you believe that it actually polishes then? You don't get a shiny area without removing some of the surface which isn't needed in the lever gun.

The other thing is simply this, there is not a place in the rifle that needs it surface to be polished. Most of the time a lever action rifle will be very stiff when it isn't cleaned and lubed. Sure there are times when the lever action needs to be worn it as you might say, but jewelers rouge isn't what I would use to do this with. Simply working the lubed action open and closed will suffice. You defintely don't need to put rouge on the bolt and work it back and forth since this can and will cause slop. The locking block doesn't need it used on it either. The carrier nor the lever need it either. The hammer, hammer spring nor the trigger need it as well. So I ask you again, just where is it that you want the poster to use the rouge on? The ejector certainly doesn't need it and this is what causes a bind on the bolt most of the time. Now, sure you can remove the bolt and polish it, but the bolt itself usually doesn't bind. So, like I asked you earlier, just where is it that you want to use the rouge on?

cntryboy1289

here, you said it

Maybe so...

But it's difficult to believe the "reduction" in size would be measurable...

It's also difficult to believe that a jeweler would "risk" reducing the size of a stone or gold or platinum ring...

I have polished a lot of brass with rouge or similar products and I never noticed the object getting smaller.

I guess I'll just have to give it up...

This was you correct! There simply is no need to use a rouge to polish up friction surfaces in this gun. He isn't trying to fit parts together like when you fit the slide to the rails of a 45ACP. This gun fits right and only needs to be used not polished up or have the parts made smaller by using rouge. Just in case you have never fitted the rails, you use the lapping compund to make the parts fit better, not make it pretty. The way you make the parts fit better is by applying the compound and moving the parts back and forth to remove metal for a perfect fit. Rouge will do the exact same thing sir.