"Wavey" slides/Springfield Loadeds

Big George

Yesterday I attended the Gun Show at Salem, Va. While there I saw a number of new Springfield Loaded models. (This is good because the asking prices were much lower than a year ago)

I noticed on the stainless and bright blued models that the slides appeared to be "wavey" or distorted. This anomoly was not visable on the matte blue models. Is this because of roll marking the slides? I've never noticed this on other 1911A1s (many thousands of them)

I suppose this is not a functional problem, but is rather cosmetic...

I own a Springfiled HiCap that was produced just prior to the Loaded line, and it doesn't appear to have this wavy/distorted look.

Does anybody have any input as to why these Springfiels have this look?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Must be the drugs...
I dont see any waves on my slide - hold on - let me check again...

Nope.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Brian Bilby

It's probably from the buffing wheels when they polish it. If too much pressure is put on, it will make them wavy like you mention.

Brian

Big George

Thank you Brian...That's what I suspected because the waviness is not consistant from one gun to the other. We saw either three or four Loadeds that had this anomoly. I'm almost certain that it's not a problem that should worry the buyer. Doesn't look good, but what the hell...it's a good gun.

BigG

Mebbe the guy polishing the gun was, er, Loaded?! LOL

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok